icon

eclipse 8445

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hlevenson 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Here's an advanced question (I think) for someone who has worked with the Eclipse 8445 before. I can't find this topic anywhere on the forums or from Eclipse... My goal is a nice SQ setup.
I'm installing this HU in my Mazda6 sedan with a 4-channel amp powering my 4 doors (components). I'm also installing a separate amp & sub in the trunk. This is pretty straightforward stuff...
However, I would also like to run an additional set of tweeters, higher up on my front doors that I would like to be powered by the HU's internal amp.
So here are my questions:
- Will this work? Is it worth it?
- Will I be able to adjust the level tweets from the HU settings?
- Will adjusting the tweets configured this way, also affect the RCA's outputs also? In other words will it affect my components running off of the amp...?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your input.
howard l
2003 Mazda6 (installing on 5/19 !!!)
Eclipse 8445 w/SIR ECL1 Sirius Tuner
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
Polk/Momo mmc570 coaxial (x2)
Directed/Sirius SIR-PS1 subs (x2) - the weakest link
midbass_champ 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I understand what you want to do, but I am wondering what you are trying to do with the extra tweeters... trying to bring the sound stage up?  if you are going for SQ, I would try to keep it fairly simple.  What kind of tweeters are we talking about?  If you are looking at ambient tweeters I would encourage you to listen to Boston's.  As for the adjustability on the HU, I'm not sure what you would be able to do with the eclipse, but if you do ambients, they will come with a crossover, I'm just not sure about the volume level adjustment from the deck.
Amateurs work until they get it right. Professionals work until they can't get it wrong...
Alpine.
hlevenson 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm trying to bring the sound-stage up. The stock speaker location in my Mazda6 is low on the door towards the front of the car, however there are also stock tweets in the corner of the window. My new speakers are Polk/Momo MMC570 hybrid coaxials with an X-over for the fixed tweets and drivers, but they are not separates. So I'm concerned that without the upper tweets on the doors, it will not sound good.
I was planning on getting the Pioneer TS-T15 (3/4" soft dome), which I includes an X-over. I know it's not the best, but I need something around 1" or smaller to fit into the stock tweeter location.
howard l
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Sure it will work, if you have x-overs there shouldn't be a problem, other than a lot of highs? You may find that you want to use some bass blockers that cut off higher than the supplied x-overs, but try them with the x-overs first.
hlevenson 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks dwarren. Do you know if the Eclipse HU will allow me to control the levels to the RCA's, separately from the internal amp? I haven't worked with this HU before...
howard l
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
No, it won't but I would imagine that it will be fine.
hlevenson 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks all. I think I'm gonna skip the additional tweeters until I hear the base system installed. Here's what I've got planned:
-Eclipse 8445 Head Unit (3 x 8v pre-amp outs)
-Sirius ECL1 Sat Receiver (must have my Stern!!!)
-Polk Momo C400 Amp (75w x 4 RMS)
-Polk Momo MMC570 Coax (front & rear doors)
-Sirius PS1 8" powered subs (2 of these in the trunk)
Don't laugh too hard at the subs. They are made by Directed Audio. I got these pretty cheap and will replace them with a decent amp & sub combo as my budget allows.
I'll post more when I've got it installed. I'll likely need some help tuning this system as I've not had experience with the Eclipse HU before. I understand it can be complex as there are many different settings to configure.
howard l
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
If you have the opportunity to return those front speakers and upgrade now, do it. Purchase a set of 6.75" component speakers and the appropriate mounting adaptor to make the mid fit into the 5x7" hole. This will solve the issue with the tweeter for you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

hlevenson wrote:
Thanks all. I think I'm gonna skip the additional tweeters until I hear the base system installed.

Good call.  I don't think this would be a worthwhile upgrade.  To be honest, most speaker manufacturers would recommend keeping the tweeter closer to the midbase, even if the midbase is in the lower door... from my own experience here, I would agree.  Dash tweeters, A-pillar tweets, etc., all create, IMO, more problems than they solve by a raised sound-stage.

You need to also keep in mind the weirdo dance you have to do trying to balance amplifier gains against the gain on the HU's internal amplifier.  I believe you would be in a seriously unoptimized position.

Anyway, you'll find with many aftermarket tweeters, an inline xover is included.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
hlevenson 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
One last question for the board. Where can I get the optional tuning microphone for the 8445? I can't seem to find one anywhere and I can't tell if the new one for the latest Eclipse decks will work properly...
Does anyone have one laying around that they can either sell me, or lend me for a few weeks? I don't need it until 5/19 when the stuff is installed...
howard l
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic