icon

sub placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morabors 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that has a stock sub (no enclosure) in the rear deck facing up toward the rear window. I am thinking of replacing the sub and would like to know if I just replace it in the same hole with no enclosure will I get good sound? Should I build an enclosure but keep it facing up toward the rear window? Should I build a box and face it toward the back of the trunk? Which direction will give me the best results? Thanks
morabors
demon_510 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
You could replace it with an infinite baffle sub, or build a box.  A properly built box is going to outperform an infinite baffle type enclosure since your trunk space is basically your box.  To get optimum performance from an infinite baffle your trunk needs to be sealed well from the cabin of the car, good luck with that.   Why not just build an enclosure in the stock subwoofer location?  I couldnt imagine the stock woofer being over 8" and you can make some seriously small 8" enclosures.
morabors 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
That was one of my options to build a box and leave it in the current position, on the rear deck facing up toward the rear window. If I do this will I get good sound or would I have better sound with a box on the floor facing the rear of the car? Thanks
morabors
demon_510 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

morabors wrote:
That was one of my options to build a box and leave it in the current position, on the rear deck facing up toward the rear window. If I do this will I get good sound or would I have better sound with a box on the floor facing the rear of the car? Thanks

So many factors to determine the best placement (ie. what is the box tuned at?, size of the driver?, desired SPL?, type of music?) sometimes people face subs towards the rear of the car to increase the soundwaves distance from the driver giving and impression that the sub is louder.  I think you are more open to cancellation when pointing your subs towards the rear of the car, build a small box with the driver that you are going to use and then put the box in different locations till you can find the location you like then go for the custom enclosure.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
If done right and IB application will sound VERY good...But to make it a good IB install you would have to COMPLETELY seal off the trunk from the cabin which would take a lot of time and work.
I would simply take that sub out to let more bass into the cabin and put a sub and box in the trunk
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
you would have to COMPLETELY seal off the trunk from the cabin which would take a lot of time and work.

Why do you have to seal off the trunk like that if you don't have to do it with IB midranges and coaxials?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
demon_510 wrote:

I think you are more open to cancellation when pointing your subs towards the rear of the car, build a small box with the driver that you are going to use and then put the box in different locations till you can find the location you like then go for the custom enclosure.

From most the info. i've read and situations I've seen you are actually going to experience less cancellation with the subs facing the rear of the vehicle.  But the advice to try different locations is a good way to go about it.

Also I thought sealing the trunk was a good idea for the IB application as well?  The idea being that subwoofers operate at high sound pressures and keeping the subwoofer's pressure wave isolated from it's back wave (like a sealed box) is going to be ideal.  That might be confusing but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

zhalverson wrote:
That might be confusing but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

Not really.  The "sealing" of the trunk I don't think matters with IB speakers at all.  It doesn't really make sense to me.  I dunno I'll do some reading.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:
Why do you have to seal off the trunk like that if you don't have to do it with IB midranges and coaxials?
Because midranges and coaxials are not expected to produce the lower frequencies that a subwoofer can. And IB mounts tend to hurt the lower frequencies as opposed to a proper enclosure setup.
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

custom audio ny wrote:
sedate wrote:
Because midranges and coaxials are not expected to produce the lower frequencies that a subwoofer can. And IB mounts tend to hurt the lower frequencies as opposed to a proper enclosure setup.

Exactly and the midranges and coaxials are not operating at such intense pressure levels so it doesn't make much of a difference.  I just figure in a IB the trunk becomes the enclosure, and thus leaks are bad. Especially leaks from the trunk into the cabin.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic