icon

mix flour with the resin?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
terryphillip 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
my buddy just did a fg job and he was low on hardner so he mixed flour with the resin. it looked like doodie and was a bitch to sand. has anyone tried this method or is he just a complete moron?
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

flour as in flour u cook with? if so, id say hes a moron....i hate ghetto shortcuts and i would never sub a cooking material for hardener

silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Im not sure whats hard for your friend to go to Walmart(open 24/7), Home Depot, Lowes, Autozone, Advance Auto, Oreillys Auto Parts...etc... Tell your friend next time to buy extra hardener.  Using the flour will greatly reduce the strength of the resin
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've added saw dust to resin to increase it's mass, but never flour or as a substitute for hardner?!  The saw dust/resin combo is extreamly strong and durable!
Devil's_Workshop
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Flour is used in paper mache (the real paper mache, not the kindergarden stuff) and makes a VERY strong shell. I've never used it in resin before, but the idea SOUNDS plausible, but it won't become a hardener. There would be no chemical reaction.

I wouldn't call him a moron, but more like uninformed... I don't know how the strength of thise project would be, but I've made some paper mache art pieces that have taken a few blows themselves, but nothing really happened, maybe a crack here or there, but nothing more than what I have gotten in similar thickness in FG, however I found the FG/hardener mix to be much more flexible and forgiving for projects.

I hope that his project holds out, but if I had the choice, I would have made sure I had enough of everything before even beginning the project.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
hellbilly007 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2007 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Not to go off on a tangent here but Mr. Devil mentioned using sawdust to increase the mass, Gary Biggs used lead shot (as in the stuff in shotgun shells) to add mass (which lowers the resonant frequency) into his enclosure of his Buick Regal. As far as using flour, I've never used it but I don't suggest it.
Slowly but surely working towards something. Not sure what though.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2007 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
There is a product over heare in suatralia thats a talc powerd (simliar to the flattening agent in paints) you add it to your resin to thicken it up.  Allows you to spray a resin more like a gelcoat paint, and you can build it up to a smooth finish instead of using bodyfiller
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic