icon

MTX or Fosgate

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2003 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Can’t decide on whether to go with MTX or Fosgate?

Now for my Subs I am looking at the Fosgate Power 1500bd and the MTX Thunder 81000D. Now im not a new comer in this but I am stuck on which ones to get.( a lot harder when making a decision for your own set up) I know that they are both outstanding amps . The ratings are almost identical and I have installed both of them before.  First off I will be powering (2) Eclipse 88120ti Subs 750 watts rms with 2 amps. Now I know that these amps are well over powering the subs but I will adjust the gains accordingly.  I like my amps to push my subs to the max while staying nice and cool with lots of power to spare.

Also for my mids and highs The Fosgate Power 851X or the MTX Thunder 6304? I will be pushing a set of MB Quart Q series QSD216 (90-170 watts) and a set of MB Quart DTC 169 (60-140 watts)

I am also open to other brands and suggestions.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2003 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I prefer Rockford.  They are solid amps that have performed exceptionally for me throughout the years.  They always outperform their rated specs, and are an overall great buy
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2003 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Hey does anyone here know if the new 2003 Mono amps by MTX come with subsonice filters? I know that last years didn't and that's why I didn't get one.
live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2003 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

I used to be a huge RF fan, back when they cared about qualty...I have alot of friends who are salesmen here, and they are always complaining about how many returns they are getting, especially the bd amps...apparently they like to grenade...

I have used MTX extensively and have never been disappointed by their amps...I still run an old MTX 2300 for my front stage...and that amp is getting on in years, but still performs like it was new...their subs on the other hand, thats a different story...I had 34 returns in one warranty period (6000 15s)...I quit dealing with the store and just went to the distributor after a bit...they hated to see me, lol...but the amps are great...reliable and powerful...I just wish they still made a big a/b 2 channel...oh well...

anyways, personally I would go with the MTX, they have never let me down...

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely stick with the MTX, but I can promise you that you will be WAY underpowered for those drivers.  No, you will NOT be overpowing those woofers!  If you run anything less than somewhere in the 1KW range to even ONE of those drivers, you will not be getting what you paid for in the sub department.  I am speaking from experience...  I thought the Eclipse 34230 at 370wpc RMS (550wpc max) wold be enought to power an 88100Ti...  well it wasn't...  now I am using that amp to pwer the 6's in my doors, and I have purchased the DA7232 4KW Digital monster they have.  I know, it is only 4KW at 2 ohms, But I went to the CES this year, and nailed down a tech, and asked him what kind of *REAL WORLD POWER* I was getting out of it at 4 ohms.  His response? "On the bench we are getting about 1350 watts per channel at 4 ohms, with a damping factor of about 1000".  So there is your answer...  You will love the MTX, but you will likely need two of them...  If you have not already bought them, then consider the Eclipse DA7232, and put one of those drivers on each channel...  now you are talkin' POWER!  Do not worry about blowing those woofers, either.  I have personally plugged them into the wall to blow them, and they took 4 days, clamped to a bench, cone down, to blow!  The 88100Ti I have took 26 minutes, at 600 WPC-RMS, at Harman International, on their Klippel machine, to warm up enough to get the hot (actually it is not a final temperature, but a DeltaT "temp vs. time" curve that the machine reads) specs, so I could get the EXACT specs for THAT driver, not the published specs.  BTW, they were pretty close, with the exception of the efficiency rating...  published at 84dB, it was really only 78dB.  No, I do not sell Eclipse, but my entire system is Eclipse (save mids and tweets in the door), and I LOVE the stuff.  I buy my stuff from a dealer that also sells RF, (and has for years) and he would not let me buy the RF over the Eclipse...  fewer problems and WAY better SQ than the Rockford.  My system consists of CD8051 HU, a 16+16 band true parametric EQ for the front, 2 8+8 band true parametric EQs, one for the rear and one for the subwoofer, a 3122 for the Infinity eMit Kappa tweeters in the front door, (55x2) a 34230 for the Morel MW-162 Midwoofers in the front doors, (370x2) a 32440 in 4 channel mode powering the 89940 Point Source 6x9's in the rear deck in a Bi-wired, Bi-amped configuration, (85x4) and the DA7232 running the 88100Ti in a 2 cu.ft. sealed enclosure.  Yes, it will play loud, but all that power adds up to sonic bliss...  SQ comin' out my ass!  As you can tell, this is a bit more than a hobby for me, I have spent MANY (about 6 <grin>) thousands of dollars, and many months of my time getting this thing to be as PERFECT as any system I have ever built.  Ummm...  sorry, I am ranting aren't I?  Well kiddies, have a good night...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2003 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have decided to go with MTX. They will start shipping their 03 models in the end of February. I decided to go with the new model of the Thunder 81000D which is now going to be called the 1501D http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX1501D and has more power then the 81000D. As far as the Thunder 6304 I wasn’t really impressed by its power ratings. But no fear MTX has a new amp the 1004 http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MTX1004 which is 125 watts X 4 @ 14.4 volts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic