icon

adjustable motor wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok so I could not really fit this into any topic, and figured somebody in this section will probably be able to help me out. What I am trying to do is wire up a headlight adjustment motor off of an Infiniti FX35, not sure exactly what year, but I am guessing 03-07, since those are the style headlights I am working with, with HIDs.
My question is, if anybody knows, or can help me figure out how to wire this motor to an adjustment knob, kind of like a interior light dimmer knob, so that I am able to mount these onto my projectors and be able to adjust them just like the FX35 owners can.
I have taken some photos to help anybody who knows about electrical systems and wiring. I would think that these motors are similar to a window motor, only this motor has 3 wires.
So here are the pics, and if you can think of anything to help me out, I would really appreciate it!
adjustable motor wiring -- posted image.
I have out of curiousity taken a 9v battery to them to see if I get any movement, and touching black to -, and either the blue or brown to + alone does nothing, but when I touch the black to -, and the brown and blue to positive together, I can hear something as if the motor wants to move, but does not have enough power to do so.
Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!!!
Eclipse 8445, Kicker DS60's, Hifonics TXi4400, Eclipse SW6143DVC, and Power Acoustik LT980-2.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
btw admins, it is kind of annoying how the word P-I-M-P is blocked, as my photobucket account is that word mustang, and it changes it to pumpmustang as it is blocked, and does not allow the image links to be posted properly. It is annoying having to have 2 seperate photobucket accounts, since that one I have had for a very long time, and has never given me problems until recently.
Eclipse 8445, Kicker DS60's, Hifonics TXi4400, Eclipse SW6143DVC, and Power Acoustik LT980-2.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

I can't think of a single good use for that word on this site.  This is a 'professional' site.  I have also found the admins of this site to be very conservative about what they allow on the site.

Second, If it is a three wire motor control system the up/down motor shares a leg with the left/right motor. 

|          |              |

|          |              |
|---O--|---O-----|

You will need to wire up a control system that has every leg resting 'open' on the switch, if you rest at ground you will blow fuses.  You will basically just need seperate five wire setups for each side.  You should be able to measure the wires with an ohm meter.  From the first wire to the second wire there should be X ohms.  From the first wire to the third wire should be 2X ohms.  From the third wire to the second wire should be X ohms and from the third wire to the first wire should be 2X ohms.  This will allow you to find the middle wire, then you can apply your voltage/ground to each 'set' of wires to find which ones are up/down and left/right.

Got that?

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
By the way, the little drawing I made the "O" represent each motor, and the vertical lines represent the three wires.
Kevin Pierson
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I can't think of a single good use for that word on this site. This is a 'professional' site. I have also found the admins of this site to be very conservative about what they allow on the site.

Second, If it is a three wire motor control system the up/down motor shares a leg with the left/right motor.

|          |              |

|          |              |
|---O--|---O-----|

You will need to wire up a control system that has every leg resting 'open' on the switch, if you rest at ground you will blow fuses. You will basically just need seperate five wire setups for each side. You should be able to measure the wires with an ohm meter. From the first wire to the second wire there should be X ohms. From the first wire to the third wire should be 2X ohms. From the third wire to the second wire should be X ohms and from the third wire to the first wire should be 2X ohms. This will allow you to find the middle wire, then you can apply your voltage/ground to each 'set' of wires to find which ones are up/down and left/right.

Got that?

Pretty true about the word.
I do get you kinda sort of, but the motor does not control up, down, left, right. The motor pushes the lil white bulge with the little blue stem in the previous pics, in and out, which the bottom part of my light will be mounted in a set position, but allowing the projector to move up and down. So basically I need to figure out what wire does what, and how to control it with some type of switch.
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
So here are some pics to show you how it will be mounted, this is an HID projector off of an Infiniti FX35.
So that is how it will be mounted.
Now as for testing with an ohm meter, I tested it, and this is what I came up with.
Brown-Blue = nothing
Brown-Black = 3.37 m/ohms
Blue-Black = nothing
KPierson 
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
If it is only an 'in/out' adjustment then I'm lost.  You may want to get on infinitfx.org and request the "LT.pdf" file from the service manual.  That should give the wiring diagram for the device. 
Kevin Pierson
wayne3 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
It may be that 9v is not enough to operte this motor.Try testing with 12v and report back. Use a fused test lead. 
tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
or this could be a MUX control circuit ment to send a command to the BCM which then adjusts the headlights....
mustangfoo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
wayne3 wrote:
It may be that 9v is not enough to operte this motor.Try testing with 12v and report back. Use a fused test lead.
Tried it, did not want to work at all, no clicks, nothing.
But these are manually adjusted motors, I just need to figure out how in the heck they work!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic