icon

no voltage going though remote turn on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shortround 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
hello everyone im new here. i am currently installing a new alpine HU and amp in my G35 coupe w/ the factory bose. my problem is that i can't get my amp to turn on. i am using a bestbuy wiring harness for the HU. im getting power from battery wire.i know i need +12v for the remote turn on wire so i tried to hooking up with the power antenna wire but still no luck. any ideas why??? 
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
The power antenna wire may only come on when the radio is on. Try the remote turn on wire if there is one available, or you can use any switched power that stays on when the car is in the "accessory" and/or "run" position. Some ideas are the cigarette lighter if it turns off when the car is off, or the red ignition wire in the after market harness (not the yellow memory wire). If you're comfortable in your skills, the best way would be to go straight to the ignition harness at the fuse box.
shortround 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

the remote turn on wire is the one im using on the bestbuy harness. i think im gonna tap the red ignition wire to the remote turn on hopefully that will do the trick. thanks austincustoms!!!!!!

shortround 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
UPDATE: okay i tried the red ignition wire and........NO LUCK!!  im beginning to think this remote turn on wire on the harness is a blank wire. i dunno my last option is to tap the remote turn on in the bose amp harness. what do you guys think?? 
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Check the wire itself. is it shorted or broken? Then bench test your amp to see if it actually works. Use a DMM to make sure you're getting power and ground at the amp, then use a small guage wire to jump the main power to the remote. If it still doesn't work, you probably have a problem with your amp.
shortround 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2007 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
going to test it with a voltage meter tomorrow, to be continued!!!!! 
mustangsam95 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
use the remote turn on lead from the alpine headunit you are installing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no voltage going though remote turn on -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
What year is your coupe?  Beautiful car!  The red wire should read 12vdc when the accessory is on, make sure you are properly grounded and didn't blow any fuses.  Does the radio work?  Did you add aftermarket amps?
Kevin Pierson
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, if you have a blue/white wire on the harness from BB - most likely it isnt populated. Could also be that the red wire isnt either - some cars (especially newer ones) dont use it. You should use the blue/white wire coming directly from your radio
caraudiolover 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
just wondering how are you interfacing with the factory bose system. you could get some distortion if you run hi level inputs, you might want to check into a premium sound system interface to control your inputs into the bose amps.  a good one that i have used on many installs is made by peripheral part# isve61 and im pretty sure that best buy carries it. and like most of the replies you should use the blue/white wire off of the alpine to turn on the amp. good luck
2004 scion xa
alpine 9878, ppi6600,boston acoustics 6.5 midranges qty4
jbl kaledex tweeters, custom built crossovers, mtx 7500 10" in custom biult vented box, w/mtx 6500d amp
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic