icon

double check my enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
may03lt 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=20.5&Eh=17&Dia=7&Xmax=12.45&Vd=.05&NumW=1&Vb=3.6&Fb=34&Qts=&Vas=&Fs=&CE=0

I want to bulid a ported enclosure for 2 S12L7. I have built a few sealed enclosures so I am confident on the construction but am inexperienced in the design. After doing some research, I came up with the design in the link above. I will build 2 of these enclosures.

I had to change the design that Kicker recommended to fit my l x w x h requirements but I kept the volume the same.

What do you think? If my design sucks, I really could use a good one. This will be going in a Trailblazer, so there is more then enough room to play with the dimensions.  Any help would be appreciated!

tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
I think as long as the math is correct you should be okay....
...don't crush the weasel...
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I'd make it with more port area
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

Now were getting somewhere!

What will the benefit be of adding more port area?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks

tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
What do you want to accomplish with these subs, and I guess the rest of your set-up? Sound quality, SPL? How much power are you gonna give them? Subs and ports go together, what ported enclosure sounds good with one sub will probably suck with another. Kicker should have some recommended specs for enclosures that will work best with these, meaning the internal air space and port lengths that would go with it. Changing the air space is gonna change the port cause it will change the tuning. All the knowledgeable people on here can help ya, but they are gonna want more info.
aznboi3644 
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
that port area will work...but me, I like a lot of port area. Less vent velocity and less chances of port noise
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

tdsteele wrote:
What do you want to accomplish with these subs, and I guess the rest of your set-up? Sound quality, SPL? How much power are you gonna give them? Subs and ports go together, what ported enclosure sounds good with one sub will probably suck with another. Kicker should have some recommended specs for enclosures that will work best with these, meaning the internal air space and port lengths that would go with it. Changing the air space is gonna change the port cause it will change the tuning. All the knowledgeable people on here can help ya, but they are gonna want more info.

I want good low notes so Id say spl. Each woofer will receive 900wrms. I calculated the enclosure linked above based on Kickers spl box specs. I figured the port/ enclosure volumes, and adjusted the h x w x l measurements (to fit) and lowered the tuning frequency to 34hz (based on what I've read this is good).

aznboi3644 wrote:
that port area will work...but me, I like a lot of port area. Less vent velocity and less chances of port noise

Should I add more port volume but keep the total volume the same, or add more total volume.

Is there a ratio of port volume-to-enclosure volume?

aznboi3644 
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 2:36 AM / IP Logged  
I would lower the internal volume to around 2.5-3 cu ft and have more port area.
may03lt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

Yo aznboi3644!

I took your advice, 2.5ft3 and 41in3 for each woofer, 33hz, I couldnt be happier!

Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice!!

aznboi3644 
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
No problem...glad that you are happy with your setup. Bump safely

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic