icon

2004 bmw 330i amps, speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scottsmtrsports 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2004 BMW 330I with Harmon Kardon that I would like to replace the stock amps and speakers. My questions are whether I will lose any of my factory functions or BMW accessories such as the bluetooth interface? I have also read that the factory system has crossovers built in to it and I am not sure if they are in the factory amp or the head unit? The components that I have purchased are; Front doors=Polk Momo 5250; Rear deck and doors= Polk Momo 6500; Subs=(2) Polk Momo 10" single vc 4ohm; Sub amp=Polk C-500; Main speaker amp=Polk C-400.

If anyone has any wiring info for this install it would sure be appreciated.

I am new to forums so if I did it wrong please excuse and redirect me.

scottsmtrsports 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone have wiring info on an 04 BMW 330i with Harmon Kardon? I am adding 2 amps, all new speakers, and 2 subs. Does anyone make an adapter plug to connect to the factory harness where it connects to the factory amp?

Thanks in advance.

csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know, you could always look at the service manual as a last resort. I am sure you are going to need a jl audio cleansweep or the audiocontrol version. If you find the wiring colors let me know where you found them.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

scottsmtrsports wrote:
I have a 2004 BMW 330I with Harmon Kardon that I would like to replace the stock amps and speakers. My questions are whether I will lose any of my factory functions or BMW accessories such as the bluetooth interface? I have also read that the factory system has crossovers built in to it and I am not sure if they are in the factory amp or the head unit?

Nice car.  Those are really fun to drive.  My biggest concern here is going to be getting that signal out of that head unit.  I'm sure your bluetooth functionality is in there.  You will be looking at some specialty equipment here.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

I'll be honest here dude, I really wouldn't know where else to begin with that particular vehicle... luxury audio systems are extreamly difficult to deal with for a variety of reasons.  I'd take my car to a quality installer that deals with JL Audio or AudioControl and look at your options.  If you can do amps and speakers, I'm sure you can handle something like a Cleansweep, but I've never dealt with one myself.

I know BMW's have weirdo systems that adjust bass response along with volume and what-not so you are really gonna have to deal with that head unit in someway.  I'll be honest here, I don't know if there would be a way to simply grab the signal out of BMW head unit, regardless of output format. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
scottsmtrsports 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for your replies. I originally replaced the speakers (special cnc adapters required) but the crossovers that came with them did not work well at all due to the systems internal crossovers. Dead sound through the midrange. I have been running them without the speaker crossovers and they sound fantastic, but I am afraid that if I use them too long or try to push them I will fry an expensive new set of speakers. So I ordered the matching amps with the intention of bypassing the factory amps with internal crossovers and upgrading at the same time. I have not yet installed the subs.

I did identify all of the speaker wires at the factory amp. (output side) That was where I decided to install the crossovers for space and accessability reasons. The speaker wires are twisted together in sets from the factory and they just need to be matched to what is in each location with the exception of the right rear door tweeter (it is the same colors as the left rear door tweet in the door but different at the amp)

After I ordered the amps I started getting concerned about the bluetooth and other functions so I came here. I know that the bluetooth plugs in to the system in the rear of the car I believe at the amp. (I have looked at the install instructions but I can't remember exactly where but I know that it is in the area of the amp)

I really want to keep the factory head unit if possible. It is simple and easy to use and does provide very good sound, which is what a stereo is supposed to do. I also don't want the car to look screwed with or invite theifs.

If anyone can use the plans or even a set of speaker adapters for this application I would be more than happy to give them to anyone that can help me.

caraudiolover 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

all right heres something you can do to get the siggnal out of your head unit and still keep all of your stock controls. ill give you a couple of ways to do this but it all depends on your budget.

1- you can use an alpine vehicle hub pro, a jl audio clean sweep, or an audio control version and rockford makes a 360 but ive never used that.

2-you can grab all of your inputs from the harmon kardon amplifier, since most of the units i mentioned earlier exept hi level inputs you shouldnt have any problems with noise or anything because the high level inputs are isolated from the low level out puts so theres no interferance.

3- once you get that all you gotta do is run your signals accordingly from whatever unit you choose to use. and youll have all the normal out puts to go to aftermarket amps front,rear,and sub outputs so you should be good from there.

and im working on getting the wire colors and locations for you.

2004 scion xa
alpine 9878, ppi6600,boston acoustics 6.5 midranges qty4
jbl kaledex tweeters, custom built crossovers, mtx 7500 10" in custom biult vented box, w/mtx 6500d amp
scottsmtrsports 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

The amps that I have purchased are Polk and have the capability of line level input. But they are rca which means that I somehow need to add rca plugs to hook them up. Do I still need these other adapters? I am not sure why I need them.

I looked at the alpine unit that you recomend and it is very expensive $500.00 MSRP. From what I read it sounds as though it effectively becomes the head unit and just uses the controls from the factory head unit to function. Is this correct? I also looked up the jl audio component and I am not understanding exactly what this is for. It seems that it is just a line level control that has remote control. The amps that I bought also have remote gain control.

The help line at sonic elctronics where I purchased the amps recomended scosche high low adapters 2channel LOC80 and 4 channel SLC4. Is this just to lower the output from the head unit to preamp level? Do I need this with an amp that has line level inputs? Or do these adapters somehow allow the retention of my other accessories?

Sorry if I ask too many questions, but I will admit that I am a little confused.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2007 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

scottmtrsports wrote:
I really want to keep the factory head unit if possible. It is simple and easy to use and does provide very good sound

Right see the factory head unit does NOT provide very good sound at all.  It provides doctored sound to suit the factory speakers' craptacular response curve.  You have to get a *CLEAN* signal.. this means a signal that doesn't have one part of the signal drop out as the volume increases ..  which every BMW I've worked on does.  This is why we are telling you to get a JL Audio Cleansweep.. you have to turn that head-unit's signal into something that is linear and is reasonably usable to an aftermarket amplifier.  Fixing the linear increases in your volume knob to match up along with keeping the response curve flat is quite a challenge... hence the need for speciality equipment.

At this point dude, none of us have your car and, like I said, factory systems are rather random and bizarre in their installations and design.  I can read so many possibilities into the bits of information you've provided, I'm effectively stumped.

scottsmtrsports wrote:
I looked at the alpine unit that you recomend and it is very expensive $500.00 MSRP

To integrate the equipment you want integrated, in the car you want to do it in, while retaining the factory headunit and factory functionality, is going to end up costing you well in excess of this number. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
scottsmtrsports 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

From what you are all telling me, the best thing that I could do would be to buy an aftermarket head unit. Any recomendations.

I want it to match the orange lighting in my car and integrate into the dash as smooth as possible. Be simple to operate. (not require an owners manual and a tech to adjust) Bluetooth able. Sound great and be reliable. (I installed an Alpine system in my wifes Tahoe and the head unit is a pia to adjust and forget about doing it while driving. And last but not least I would like to keep my steering wheel controls. Video could be cool but not required, but it definitely needs aux inputs for an mp3 player. I am a bit old fasioned when it comes to a head unit. I like large knobs and buttons that I can feel and see while driving. I dont need repetetive graphics that are old after 2 minutes. It is about sound and ease of use. Not gimmics or having the coolest new buttons that you can't find while driving.

soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
find a radio that suits all of your needs and has bluetooth adapter etc and just rewire the whole system
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic