popping sound from speakers/common ground

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stategorgeous 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  

'87 BMW 325i (M20 engine, E30 chasis):

Installed Pioneer DH4700 using factory wires, amp, and speakers. Car uses common ground design. I connected all the positive speaker leads to the corresponding speakers of the car, leaving out the negative leads.

Memory, Battery, & Ground wires were verified with a multimeter along with ignition position.

Radio retains its memory, functions with the ignition, and antenna goes up & down with relationship to radio power.

There are two white wires that lead to one, which appear to be original (soldered and heat shrinked). Only when I connect it to the "remote" wire of the hu, is when I get sound from the speakers AND is when the antenna rises.

Note: no popping when remote wire and car's white wire(s) are disconnected because the white factory lead wire has both the factory amp turn on and antenna leads???

POPPING SPEAKERS takes place during two events: 1) slightly audible - when the radio is powered on, either by ignition or manually by "src" button. 2) much louder - when the radio is powered off, by ignition or by head unit, and appears to be isolated to or appears to come from the FL and RL speakers.

How can I get rid of this popping without wiring direct from hu to speakers? The speakers have 3 leads, which is the correct + lead for each speaker for the hu?Are the popping sounds occurring because the neg. speaker leads from the hu are disconnected?

Thank you very much in advance

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
You need to use an adapter as aftermarket head units are not designed for common ground systems.  Something like the PAC OEM-2 would probably do the trick.  There are other adapters as well.
Support the12volt.com
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
i wonder if you could just add a resistor inline on that white wire similar to what you do for the ford amp turn on wire to eliminate popping?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic