noise in my car and can't diagnose

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
http://bcot1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html
   the 2 black things in the pictures are fuse holders put no larger than a 1 amp fuse in them. You really only need to do the left or right one both is really not necessary
strykergsr 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  

tried it..it did nothing

i FINALLY isolated the noise. i stole my brothers high grade AV RCAs for his TV and hooked the head unit up to it. NO NOISE. now could someone help me with what the best course of action here is? I don't understand, these are suppose to be high quality double shielded stinger RCAs. should I get new ones or get a filter of some sort. is it possible that somehow when I was installing the RCAs it got shorted somewhere? thanks for your help guys

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

Try isolating the shield at one or other end. Rather than experimenting with pricy RCA's I have a short male/female RCA with the shield cut. I connect the in-car RCA's through this at one or the other end. If that resolves the issue then cut the shield at the appropriate end of your in-car RCA's.

BTW, congrats on the excellent troubleshooting skills - muting plugs, external MP3 player - you'd make David Navone proud! (I think I just gave away my age noise in my car and can't diagnose - Page 2 -- posted image. )

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
strykergsr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

"BTW, congrats on the excellent troubleshooting skills - muting plugs, external MP3 player - you'd make David Navone proud! (I think I just gave away my age noise in my car and can't diagnose - Page 2 -- posted image. )"

hey thanks, it took a lot of time and patience, or lack thereof, to find the problem. i learned a lot though. for instance how many freaking possible things could be wrong here. lol.

sorry for such a stupid question but how do i cut the shield?

Big Dog 
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Cut the plastic first with an exacto in a circular motion cutting deeper each time. Repeat to remove about a 1/4 inch section. Slowly bend the RCA to loosen the shield, carefully cut the shield with a pair of small diagonal side cutters. Fold back and tape over. Watch those fingers!
strykergsr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

ok so i removed the shield and tried this on my old cables, first on the left and then right of my amp-end and then left and right of my HU-end. there was noise each time. does it matter if i only made this shield isolator for one channel?

afterwards i got worried and plugged the other RCAs in and no noise again. i know somethings messed up with these Stinger RCAs. I guess my only option is to take them out and check for a short somewhere. thanks

strykergsr 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
went and got some new RCAs after i took the old ones out and made sure there was nothing touching anything and it still made noise, then i hooked them up to the home stereo, made noise on my home stereo. so went and bought some new ones and the stereo soundsgreat. my verdict- these RCAs are crappier than an outhouse. i personally won't be buying any stinger products anymore. thanks to everyone who helped. PROBLEM SOLVED
caddy16s 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
have any of you heard of ground loops in the audio system causing engine temp sensors or heater cores to fail.  I've got two 1600watt amps, one monoblock and one 4 channel, with 2 15s and a host of highs.  I know I have ground loops and the corresponding whining noise, but can this damage other electrical components not audio related?
01 Lumina
2 L5 15's
Brutus Bxi1600D
Kicker Mids/Highs
Kenwood 1000 watt 4channel
Big Dog 
Posted: May 10, 2007 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

If the whining noise matches rpm but it is not a ticking noise matching the rpm then more than likely it's the alternator. An alternator generates a/c voltage which passes through diodes to convert it to DC. If one or more diodes fail then a/c gets though which you hear as a whine. All vehicle electronics work on DC so a/c can be inducive to damage. Good thing is that the electronic modules themselves have their own dc/dc converters which help prevent damage.

Temp sensors are resistors and wouldn't suffer damage from tired rectifiers in the alternator. The problem your facing is a mechanical one which goes beyond the scope of this forum.

A simple answer to your query: no

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic