icon

anything better than stinger?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I've been using Stinger products for about fifteen years now in all of my installs.  Over the last few years, I've noticed that their quality is slipping.  For example, I had a one farad cap with digital display, leds and neon.  The neon went out about a week after I installed it.  I took it back to the shop where I purchased it and exchanged it no problem.  A few months later, the neon went out again!  I also have the blue led voltage display in my dash.  When I first installed it (using a voltmeter to calibrate), the potentiometer inside wouldn't go above 10.7 volts.  The pot was turned all the way up and the volts at the battery and my connection were around 13 volts.  My other two caps and digital fuse blocks have been fine.  I guess it was put together  wrong.  And last but not least, my "Black Chrome" Pro series battery terminals were nice and shiny when I installed them about a year ago, now they look like crap!  I have two pair in a  vented (not totally sealed up) battery rack in my wall connected to two SP1000 batteries.  My buddy has the same terminals in the back of his Tahoe and they almost look chrome instead of "Black Chrome".  I don't mean to whine, I could go on, but I think everybody gets the idea.  Has anyone else had problems with Stinger products?  Is there anything better?  How is the Tsunami stuff?
Devil's_Workshop
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

mr.devil wrote:
Is there anything better?

I like Stinger in general . . .  the price for thier stuff is much more inline with what I think stereo interconnects are worth.

If you want something with a bit more class, try JL Audio interconnects.  Installing them is much easier and cleaner than any other brand I've worked with and the build quality is certainly superior to any Stinger product I've ever used.  They also cost 3x as much.  Worth it, especially when it comes to distribution blocks and thier power interconnects.  Great, classy equipment.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_connections_detail.php?cat_id=3

They don't make caps but .. in your case..with all those batteries, not sure why you needs caps at all..

mr.devil wrote:
How is the Tsunami stuff?

I think very comparable to Stinger.  Can't say I like the design of the equipment much, and it seems a bit pricey for what you get. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
I took apart one of the their 'zero noise' $99 RCA interconnects recently and it was small gauge wire, siamesed (not twisted) and with zero shielding on the cable.
This was disappointing. Now we use JL for all of our connections. You wont be disappointed with their power wire, terminals, interconnects - etc.
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2007 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advise, I've always been a JL fan but forgot about their hardware line. I'll check it out.
Devil's_Workshop

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic