icon

which woofers would you pick?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shorgasm 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 Type-r 12's in a sealed box in my tahoe.I run them with an older V12 successfully at 1 ohm.I've been told over and over the amp is not stable.Well it's been fine for almost two years now so not sure what to say.

I have a chance to score one of those JL 12W7's and the wideass JL box that goes with it.Not sure what it is called but is has the red center in it for the ported area.It's in great shape and $200.OMG it's a heavy mofo.

In my mind I think the W7 will kill the two Alpine 12's....should I do this or am I expecting too much out of the JL box and the 12's will be just as good?

shorgasm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

no wise words from anyone?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you are satisfied with what you have, and it is working well, why drop 200 dollars on something new?
There's MY wise words...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shorgasm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

Because it is a 12W7 in a HO box Vs 2 12" Alpines in a basic sealed.

Tell me if I am figuring this wiring right...2 situations.

1..Mono/bridged on a 2 channel should give me 1.5 ohms using the SVC 3ohm W7 right?

2..Right now I have my MRV1002 bridged and parrallel to TWO SVC 4 ohm subs which should give me 1 ohm correct?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2007 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Two SVC 3-ohm subs paralleled results in a 1.5 ohm load.  Two SVC 4-ohm subs paralleled results in a 2-ohm load.
Support the12volt.com
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2007 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
This upgrade probably isn't for you.
I once traded a pair of Perfect12's for a 13w6 and seriously, seriously regretted it. The reasons why are actually more applicable to you than they were to me. That said, lets look carefully at what you are asking:
shorgasm wrote:
In my mind I think the W7 will kill the two Alpine 12's....should I do this or am I expecting too much out of the JL box and the 12's will be just as good
I like this 'in my mind' ... you'd be suprised.
See, the type r's you have are more efficent.. meaning louder per watt... and there are two of them ... meaning more cone area. I realize the w7 is in a ported enclosure, but this HO marketing machismo that JL spits just means "ported box, add 3db." Since your using 2x12's, you can add 3 more on top of that, plus whatever 2 or 3 db you get from having more efficient woofers. I'm too lazy to look it up exactly.
Yes, the w7 is a *much better* woofer... but better on a RTA or in a competetion when the woofer is hooked up too .. uhh.. an amplifier like this.
shorgasm wrote:
1..Mono/bridged on a 2 channel should give me 1.5 ohms using the SVC 3ohm W7 right?
2..Right now I have my MRV1002 bridged and parrallel to TWO SVC 4 ohm subs which should give me 1 ohm correct?
Right. If they are paralleled, then bridged to a 2-channel, each channel is seeing 1-ohm.
Lotsa amps can get away with this... and since it is working for you I won't bother going into it.
Darth Yohn wrote:
Two SVC 3-ohm subs paralleled results in a 1.5 ohm load. Two SVC 4-ohm subs paralleled results in a 2-ohm load.
Right, but here he means 3-ohm SVC b/c that is what JL presents him with when using the "special" JL box. He really has a dual-6-ohm vc. He needs to bridge the 3-ohm load to a 2-channel Alpine.
Anyway, shorgasm, if you want a neato upgrade, spend $20 on a sheet of MDF and build a ported box for your 12's.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
shorgasm 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

So what you are saying is my amp is going to be much stronger pushing my 2 12's at 1ohm(for however long) than it would be pushing mono at 1.5 ohm on the 3ohm W7.Resulting in better performance with the 2 12's.

How about an amp upgrade?...I like the JL 1000/1 but will the 500/1 get the job done better and cleaner than my set-up now?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2007 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
shorgasm wrote:
So what you are saying is my amp is going to be much stronger pushing my 2 12's at 1ohm(for however long) than it would be pushing mono at 1.5 ohm on the 3ohm W7.Resulting in better performance with the 2 12's.
This is technically an accurate observation, but actually the factor that contributes *least* to why your performance will be degraded. You are halving cone area and significantly decreasing woofer efficiency. This will result in significantly less output... the difference in electrical power from your amplifier will be detectable in the numbers somewhere, but effectively inaudible.
Of course, I'm assuming that you are defining performance by your word above .. "kill." This to me means some combination of SQL, leaning heavily on SPL. If you mean "perform better on an RTA" then the W7 would be the pick. It will just be alot quieter doing it given the same input power which, as you deduce above, will be somewhat..insignificantly.. less b/c you will be running a higher impedence.
shorgasm wrote:
I like the JL 1000/1 but will the 500/1 get the job done better and cleaner than my set-up now
I mean ... if you want the w7 to do what the w7's marketing hype has apparently convinced you it will do, then you need to run it properly.    Here, I would tell you the answer is no. If you want to run a single woofer system, you are certainly going to need to run the hell out of it.
If you went and modeled this on a computer, you would find that a 12w7 in a vented box getting 1000 watts is about as loud as a pair of $100w1's getting 2 or 3 or 400 watts in a sealed box. Yes, in a car the w7 would have better tonality and better transient response.. but your investment would be some 6x the $$$.
Try it. You can definitively answer your question yourself.
Go here.
Download WinISD.
Get t/s parameters for the woofers in question from JL's and Alpine's website, and then go here.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic