icon

pulse relay common problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stauf 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Dual.  So over the last couple days, I've soldered, spent parts, and come up empty..   My last itteration had a 2200uF cap with a 15K resisitor.  It wires up fine and in therory should work fine, in reality it doesn't.   I've come to realize the tcs system must disable user input while it self-tests which I didn't think it did.  So what I need to figure out now is something that will delay the pulse output for xx seconds on power-on.  Something tells me I'm gonna end up with two relays and alot more wires..  =(

So what hell am I in for now...

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I assume you're using the original direct drive setup with the big cap then?
I mentioned earlier that you need to check if the switch can be turned on at the same time power comes up, or if a delay was needed; is that what you're coming up against now?
Try to find out exactly what kind of timing requirements you need, and you may be able to put together something to do it. Using some solid state components will make it easier to do, so you may have to look into doing some electronics work.
stauf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Yep, I'm using the direct drive huge cap brute force method.. =P

Well, my original thought on the switch was the tcs doesn't lockout anything or self test since its part of the abs system, but appearently I'm wrong.  Another problem is the relay will energize at 10v instead of 12v.  I didn't count on that one happening either.  So what I have now is something that will work, but only after the system self-tests itself.  I'm gonna say a 10-15sec initial delay would be about right.  How to get that is where I'm at now...   To say I'm a bit baffled would be accurate.

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

It's easy enough to add the delay if you use the transistor drive-  I figured you'd need the delay after turn on, that's why I asked if you confirmed it works without the delay first-

I can draw it up if you want to try-

stauf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

Please!!  I'd like to get my dash back together enough to drive it..  pulse relay common problem? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Also, sorry about me not checking first on the delay on..  But I honestly didn't think it would be a problem while I was testing the plug with a dmm.  =(

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

Well I did ask twice if it would work without a delay- pulse relay common problem? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Shouldn't be hard to add a delay to the trigger; pretty sure it's been posted previously, but I'll draw it out if I can't find the post.  If you don't feel comfortable with electronic stuff, there are commercial products that will do it for you too.  Probably overkill for the application though, cause they're chock full of features you won't be using.

stauf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

yea, i'm knockin my head on the wall for that one..

i have no problem working with electronics and such..    while i wouldn't want to build a motherboard, i could..  but why when they're 50 bucks these days?  pulse relay common problem? - Page 2 -- posted image.

just need to know now what parts to buy and where to connect/solder everything.  i have yet to hack apart my latest relay setup in hopes that i just have to add to it..  =)

thanks again dual!

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Here's something you can try:
The added inverter stage is used to control the pulse delay timing, and the transistor circuit is to set the length of the pulse and drive the relay.
You can adjust the resistor and cap values to change the delay and pulse width as necessary.
The two diodes on the input of the inverter is to protect the input in case your input signal has any spikes or transients- might be able to do without it if your signal is clean, but there's really no reason not to add it in.
pulse relay common problem? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic