ports and noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
Sedate...I'm curious. How do you have a couple 12s with less port area than two 2 inch round ports and not have any port noise or extremely high port velocity??

I dunno.. I mean I calculated the ports in WinISD first and it didn't have a problem with the setup.  I have a pair of 12's with four 1-inch ports that are each about 4inches long.  This is why I was originally expressed some original suprise over the problem.

If you stand over the trunk and really listen, it does chuff just a bit when the system really gets going, but nothing you hear in the car... certainly not a fart or swish noise.  It actually is one of the best sounding boxes I've ever constructed.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

aznboi3644 wrote:
Sedate...I'm curious. How do you have a couple 12s with less port area than two 2 inch round ports and not have any port noise or extremely high port velocity??

I dunno.. I mean I calculated the ports in WinISD first and it didn't have a problem with the setup. I have a pair of 12's with four 1-inch ports that are each about 4inches long. This is why I was originally expressed some original suprise over the problem.

If you stand over the trunk and really listen, it does chuff just a bit when the system really gets going, but nothing you hear in the car... certainly not a fart or swish noise. It actually is one of the best sounding boxes I've ever constructed.

Ahh icic...well what is the highest port velocity that WinISD says it has?? Have you tried comparing it to a box with more port area??
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
well what is the highest port velocity that WinISD says it has?? Have you tried comparing it to a box with more port area

If I recall, that port velocity was calculated to something like 110feet per second... it was right under what WinISD wouldn't have been happy with... I had to play with it a bit to get the vent mach down into the green.

And yes... given my reservations about the smallish ports I was using, I constructed a slightly larger box for the 12's with six 1-inch ports tuned to the same frequency.  This box sounded identical to the first box.  I probably would have stuck with the six-port enclosure, but when my old Toyota got wrecked, it wouldn't fit into my new car.. so I switched back to that old four-port box.

aznboi3644 
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Well what I mean was like a box the same size with two 4 inch round ports or one six inch round port.
In my box right now the maximum port velocity is only about 25ft per second.
ports and noise - Page 2 -- posted image.
Sorry about the thread jackage
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Whoa that looks sweet.  Reminds me of transmission line boxes my ex's dad used to build.  You should finish it.

Anyway... naww I needed *really* small ports, so that's why I ended up using little 1" ports like that.  Four 1"x4" ports were *so* easy to build into the box.. and I'm not really running much power to my 12's anyway.. like ~200watts/sub.  I'm liking those TC Sounds subs that keep coming up again and again and I'm thinking of building a new slot-port box specifically for my new car around them... I wanna drop the impedence on my subs down to 2-ohms anyway.. I'm kinda wasting half my sub amp running at 4-ohms.

..Anywho..yea sorry abuot the thread jackage.

aznboi3644 
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah...Well I graduate Memorial Day weeekend so right now I really have no time to finish it...I still need to glue the baffle board on and fill in all the screw holes...I wanna paint it a glossy black
Carpeting that thing would be a pain in the arse.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic