icon

inverters, pure sine vs modified sine?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dragorus 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all....Just wondering if anyone knows the difference?...I am needing an inverter for 3 game consoles, 37" lcd and a 23 inch LCD tv for my tahoe project....I wanted to get a Vector Maxx SST 2000-3000 watt inverter, however come to find out that they use modified sine wave technology and I am hearing rumors about lines on peoples tv's and consoles in their vehicles from this.....Now I saw a post here about PURE SINE technology and supposedly it solves this issue....I don't want noise in my audio system at all.......So some professional advice here would be awsome cause I know the PURE SINE inverters are like twice the price...but I dont care cause I want whats better but I dont want to go overkil if I dont have to...Also is 3000 watt tooo much for what I'm doing??....Thanx
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ture sine wave will assure as noise- and trouble- free an installation as possinle, ESPECIALLY with the video devices. IF the inverter is a higher quality MSW, then you might be able to use it still. If the output is a single step MSW, look elsewhere. Some manufacturers will tell you how many steps their outputs are, the more the better, and will likely still be a bit less expensive than true sine wave.
True sine will cost significantly more, especially in the power ranges that you are looking for, probably 50 to 100% more.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Ture sine wave will assure as noise- and trouble- free an installation as possinle, ESPECIALLY with the video devices. IF the inverter is a higher quality MSW, then you might be able to use it still. If the output is a single step MSW, look elsewhere. Some manufacturers will tell you how many steps their outputs are, the more the better, and will likely still be a bit less expensive than true sine wave.
True sine will cost significantly more, especially in the power ranges that you are looking for, probably 50 to 100% more.

So how many watts would you recommend for my setup?

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

do you have the product/pieces you are installing?  read on the nameplates or owners manuals how much each piece draws, should be in watts(W) or volt-amperes(VA).  then add all them up and add say 25%-50% for surges and additional equipment.  if no product, then search on manufacturers website for owners manuals.

hope this helps

mark

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Spend the money on the Sine. MSW are good for hand tools and non-electronic devices. Xantra makes a Prosine 1000 or 1800 that is very cool. Be prepared to deal with the inefficency of an invertor. The 1800W (aprox. 15 Amps AC) requires a 250 Amp fuse! You sould consider a H/0 alternator before you get to far into your project.
http://www.invertersrus.com/prosine1800.html
Page down and you will find the install manual for the unit. Great info.
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

audiocableguy wrote:
Spend the money on the Sine. MSW are good for hand tools and non-electronic devices. Xantra makes a Prosine 1000 or 1800 that is very cool. Be prepared to deal with the inefficency of an invertor. The 1800W (aprox. 15 Amps AC) requires a 250 Amp fuse! You sould consider a H/0 alternator before you get to far into your project.
http://www.invertersrus.com/prosine1800.html
Page down and you will find the install manual for the unit. Great info.

I have a Custom 5 alternator setup on my tahoe and also have 6  x 1700 amp batteries...4 x Batcaps and a 35 farad Digital Cap.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic