icon

how to replace dustcap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
I recently had an incident with my dustcap and need to replace it. Anyone know where I can get them? Anything important I need to know while doing this?
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'd contact the manufacturer of the subwoofer as they should be able to get you a new one.  Depending on the design and glues used, you may be able to remove the old cap to glue on the new one.  Or you may be able to just glue the new one on top of the old one. 

If the new dust cap is polypropylene then you will want to scuff up the glueing surface to provide a good bond as it's very difficult to get a good bond on smooth polypropylene.  To handle the dust cap, it is helpful to take a piece of tape (we used 1" painters tape) and in the middle fold it back onto itself (tacky side to tacky side).  However leave the ends of the tape free and apply them to the dust cap.  This should give you a tape tab to handle the dust cap with.  To assure a good, airtight bond, be sure to apply a good amount of glue, but not to where it will squish out past the cap where you can see it when done.  When setting the cap down on the cone, twist it so the glue spreads and gets rid of any gaps.  Now just put some sort of weight on it to hold it down and let it sit for 24 hours.  Most glues will dry quickly, but take about 24 hours to fully cure. 

I always prefered a good rubber based glue as it is thicker.  But I have done many dust caps using Loctite 410.  Here's a link to the product: http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Prism-Black-Toughened-Inst/dp/B000132VUI/ref=sr_1_2/002-0317727-1550455?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1179283694&sr=1-2  Note that the picture they show is not what you will get.  But it should be more than enough for what you will need.  If you do use a CA glue like this one, you should wipe down the surface as any fingerprints or other oils will turn white from the fumes.  If any white stuff does show up, it willl usually clean off.  Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic