icon

problem with my reciever

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krazykustoms 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
My reciever won't come on when wired properly battery wire to battery wire. I have checked battery wire with a multimeter and there is power but not what it should be. So, the only way that I can get the reciever to work is to hook the battery wire with the ACC wires. The fuse is good, so what else could it be?
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
when you say that it tests with a multimeter but not what it should, are you saying that there is voltage but not 12 or more volts?  Also, what vehicle is it in and was there a stereo in there before the one you're installing now?  If so, did the previous stereo work? 
krazykustoms 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, it's not putting out 12 volts and it's a 94 Civic and yes there was a radio in it before. Can I just run a fused wire straight to the battery until I can figure out the problem?

sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  

I'd first recommend checking all the fuses--even ones that seem like they would have absolutely nothing to do with the radio.  I've seen blown dome-light fuses cause stereos not to work.  And when you check the fuses, check each of them visually--I have had multi-meters give many false readings on blown fuses (make sure to check both the fuse box under the dash, as well as the one under the hood).  If after checking all the fuses you don't find a blown one, then you can either run a power wire from the battery to the stereo (make sure to fuse the wire), or you could tap power from the ignition harness (check below the steering column for a solid white wire, about 12guage)--if you use this wire, make sure to fuse the wire you run from it to the stereo.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic