icon

05 grand prix, aftermarket radio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coreyo 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Can you install a aftermarket radio in this car without that special wire module adapter? Someone told me if you use just the standard wire harness all you will lose is your warning chimes, is this true?

05pontiac
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
it is true.  You can hook up a stereo without the special interface but you will lose the chime, and you'll have to run an accessory power wire from the ignition harness because the accessory wire in the factory harness doesn't carry enough amperage to trigger an aftermarket deck to turn on.  If you get the interface (about $100 retail) it will retain the chime and nullify the need to run a seperate accessory wire.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

you can find the interfaces to properly install a cd player in your car online for 70-80 dollars. Do it right buy the proper harness.

coreyo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Why do some guys say that it can be done without it and some say with it is safe. What will happen if I use the standard wire harness?
05pontiac
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

If I were to do it would be illegal as it installed a safety device ie chimes when seat belt is forgotten. It has caused issues with some other makes and models with throwing service lights. IMO I consider it doing it half assed, not to install it with the proper parts. Its your car do as you like just my opinion.....................

coreyo 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

Have you heard of air bags going off or not going off when needed doing it  the cheaper way?

05pontiac
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
I think all the airbag stuff is just urban legend--the only "problem" that will be created is loss of the chime.  I worked at Best Buy as an installer for over a year and we pratically never used the interface and I never had a single GM vehicle with airbag issues or triggered service lights.  If you don't care about losing the chime, then doing it the cheaper way is no big deal.
xtremej 
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
1 year of installing isn't crap so like I stated its your car chop it up however you feel necessary. maybe it will be fine for many years, maybe not. Oh and I doubt your accessory lead in your ignition will have the amperage to turn on your head unit also, its a low amp signal lead.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic