icon

can i downfire a rf p3 shallow sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jonchos 
Copper - Posts: 256
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have a P3SD412 sub and I am mounting it in my truck. Can I down fire this sub? I am not good the the formula there is arround here to figure it out. Thank you for your help.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/sag.htm

stevdart showed me this awhile back. If you don't have the manual for the sub to get the specs then go to RF's website.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  

you can set up any sub to downward fire as long as there's enough room for the sub to reach its maximum excursion without hitting the floor

jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, I had 2 KickerComp 10's downfired (they, according to the sag calculator, weren't 'sag worthy') getting 250wrms (they're rated @ 150wrms) and they held up for the 6 months I had them. -Just got a G5 and GTR 10" ;)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2007 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

jmelton86 wrote:
Oh, I had 2 KickerComp 10's downfired (they, according to the sag calculator, weren't 'sag worthy') getting 250wrms (they're rated @ 150wrms) and they held up for the 6 months I had them. -Just got a G5 and GTR 10" ;)

Yeah i do not know any of those variables for that formula, hahaha. I went to the site and i could not find them so...... Thank you anyway. I think is going to be fine.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately the detailed tech paper where that sag program came from now has a broken link.  Here's the correct link for those who are interested: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DriverOrientation.pdf
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I tried to get to the tech sheet via rockfordfosgate.com but it kept freezing up on me. Oh, well.

Just keep in mind that there's always a chance it could go by-by;)

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
jonchos 
Copper spacespace
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

The calc wants Xmax in millimeters, so use 13.4 for that.  You get 1% saggy which means it's an excellent candidate for downfiring.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
sqsq wrote:

you can set up any sub to downward fire as long as there's enough room for the sub to reach its maximum excursion without hitting the floor

Ummm... yeah, NO! bad sqsq... BAD! No, you cannot use ANY woofer in a downfiring situation, and this specific driver is NOT suitable for downfiring. It is 10% "saggy", and it WILL bang the stops, (at least the front stop...) and possibly fail significantly sooner than it should. At a very minimum, it'll NOT run linearly, and sound worse than RF woofers already do/can...
jmelton86 wrote:
Oh, I had 2 KickerComp 10's downfired (they, according to the sag calculator, weren't 'sag worthy') getting 250wrms (they're rated @ 150wrms) and they held up for the 6 months I had them. -Just got a G5 and GTR 10" ;)
huh... I wonder WHY they failed... Could it be, oh, because they WEREN'T SUITED FOR DOWNFIRING?!?! There's a reason people provide all of this help... so you don't HAVE to replace your woofers every 6 months... jeez, man, a woofer should last you tens of YEARS without failing...
jonchos wrote:

jmelton86 wrote:
Oh, I had 2 KickerComp 10's downfired (they, according to the sag calculator, weren't 'sag worthy') getting 250wrms (they're rated @ 150wrms) and they held up for the 6 months I had them. -Just got a G5 and GTR 10" ;)

Yeah i do not know any of those variables for that formula, hahaha. I went to the site and i could not find them so...... Thank you anyway. I think is going to be fine.

:::::EDIT:::::
Wait a second... You chose that woofer because you didn't have space for a deeper woofer, but NOW you want to fire it down, and take up a HUGE footprint? Something doesn't make sense with this situation... Why don't you tell us EXACTLY what you have in mind, with car and everything, and maybe we can keep you from getting into a situation that you will not be happy with...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic