icon

speaker parameters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
i was wondering which parameters of a speaker determine what type of box a subwoofer will work best in? (i believe i am refering to theil/small parameters).  and also after you have determined which type of box is best, which parameters determine how much volume the enclosure should have?  if anyone could also refer some good software to test the theil/small parameters that would be helpful also!  thanks in advance for any info.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

"As a general guideline, Qts of 0.4 or below indicates a transducer well suited to a vented enclosure. Qts between 0.4 and 0.7 indicates suitability for a sealed enclosure. Qts of 0.7 or above indicates suitability for free-air or infinite baffle applications. "

Click on Thiele-Small in the left column for more.  As far as determining what size enclosure, please read the sticky on using WinISD.  As far as measuring your own T/S parameters, this is not something for the average person to consider.  Why do you feel you need to measure them yourself?

Support the12volt.com
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
well, i know that the manufacturer will print the T/S parameters and put them in the manual, but from what i have read and understand these are average numbers. each driver is a little different in its own way, so the t/s parameters will differ slightly for each driver (or so i thought).  also, if i am not mistaking, in the t/s parameters you will find the true power handling, impedance of the woofer, and the correct size and type of the enclosure as well as a lot of other useful info, if you understand them (this is just my take on this, i am by no means an expert so correct me if i am wrong).  with all of that being said, i feel i should get better results from my setup if i measure the t/s parameters myself to build the right enclosure for my specific driver rather than from an average number. any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks DYon for your input!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Not average numbers.  To make an average, they would have to randomly select several woofers from the assembly line, test them, and average the results.  They don't do this.  The specs are obtained by testing one model woofer.  First runs are tested to match the model, and once confirmed is then mass produced.  The quality control on the Asian assembly lines nowadays is state-of-the-art and quite impressive.  The engineering of the model itself, not so much deviances in the manufacturing, is of utmost importance.

Quite frankly, if you are using a quality-engineered woofer the published specs will be close enough for the purpose of building an enclosure.  If the speaker maker's integrity is suspect, you shouldn't be using their products in the first place.  Right?  What you should spend your time on is mastering software that will help you in the box design process.  Now, if you have already mastered that important part of the equation and you have some money burning a hole through your pocket, look up "woofer tester 2" at Parts Express.com

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Steve.  The published T/S parameters of quality brands are generally within a few percentage points for any driver of the same model, a difference that is largely meaningless.  There are a few exceptions, of course... but is it worth your time to measure the precise parameters of your driver?  No, not unless you simply want to do it for your own enjoyment.  Rod Elliot has posted  some useful info for you on this topic.
Support the12volt.com
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
hey, thanks guys for the input! it was to my knowledge that the manufacturers did take a "sample" woofer from each run and test it to get an average number. now that that is cleared up, are there any reasons as to why i should use WinISD rather than another program (i actually dont know of any). i mean, is it a really good program or should i use it because it is free? if there are any other good programs out there that you know about i would like to know about them. thanks in advance!
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
i looked up woofer tester 2 at partsexpress.com and didnt find any results. what were you trying to refer me to?
wotugot4me 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
try www.woofertester.com got mine there

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic