icon

2 sets of components in convertible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jesse28b 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

First off... Sorry if this has been asked before.  I've looked around and didn't really see what I was looking for (yet! haha)

I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra Convertible.  I also have a beater car, so I never drive this car unless it's nice enough to put the top down.  It has side exit exhaust and not very much in the muffler effectiveness department haha.  Basically it's a loud car.  To overpower my loud exhaust/engine sounds and I was planning on putting one set of 6.5" components in the stock door location and another set of 6.5" in the stock location on the side panels behind the front seats.  Everything will basically be pointed towards the centerline of the car (front tweeters will point at side mirrors on opposite side of car, front woofers will point at feet, rear tweeters&woofers will be pointed at each other in a location about a foot behind the front seats at shoulder level)

Is this a pretty dumb idea?  I really like the idea of sound being present both in front of & behind me. 

My planned speakers are to be MB Quart PCE-216 with a PA-1600 4-channel amp.

Any help guys?  Thanks!

jesse28b 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Link to Speaker info:

http://www.online/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13544

Amp (it's actually a PS4-1600.  Sorry about misprint in earlier post):

http://mysimplecity.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=124522

sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
If you've got a tremendous amount of vehicle noise, then I guess it's not necessarily a bad idea.  However, I've installed two sets of components in several vehicles and it just seems like a bit much.  I guess ultimately it's a matter of preference--but having heard this sort of set-up several times, I'd advise against it and recommend running components up front and high-quality coaxials in the rear.  If you get could speakers and an amp you should be able to adaquetly cut through the vehicle noise
jesse28b 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

What are the cons with having a set of components in the front & rear?  Is price the only thing, or does it screw up the sound or dimension with too many speakers? Or will I hear too much sound coming from the rear tweeters?

I hate to ask simple questions, but I've never done anything with component speakers before & I really don't know what to expect.  I don't ever recall even hearing a set of components before.

The car came stock with tweeters & woofers in the door along with tweeters & woofers in the rear side panels behind the seats.  So it basically already has 2 sets of components, I just want to upgrade them.  

Thanks for any help guys!

sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I had an 01 celica gts, not the beefyest of motor/ exaust noise. I ran two pair of arc audio 6.5 components one in fron one in back in the slightly modified but still factory locations, and I also had 6 10's in the hatch. I had crystal clear sound, but my imaging was poop. I do not know if this was do to too the second set of componants in the back or just a crappy job on the positioning by me/toyota.
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
I drive a '97 tahoe, and I have a set of MA components in the front and rear doors. It sounds great no matter where you sit, but I doubt you have that many back seat riders... btw, props on the car.... my sunday driver is a '65 fastback....
...don't crush the weasel...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic