icon

wiring subs to amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jorge3443 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
i have two dvc 2 ohm subs that are 400 rms.  so i can wire them together to have a 2 ohm load for my amp right?  the amp is  a mono amp thats 400 watt rms at 2 ohms. is this a good match or since im running two subs  would they only get half the power? i would be connecting them both to only one terminal on the amp.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

wiring subs to amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

Each sub will receive 200 watts for a total of 400 watts. If it doesn't give the output you are wanting then yes, you should get a bigger amp, but I would try what you have first and see how you like it.

jorge3443 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
wow well thats just great i learn this after i bought everything.  i have two pioneer TS-W307D2 subs and a mtx thunder TC4001 mono amp.  do you think this would be a good setup still or should i only hook up one of the subs to the amp?
tdsteele 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Well if you only hooked up one sub, you would have to wire it for 4 ohms, which still only gives you 200watts to it, so you might as well go ahead with the two. What kind of enclosure are you going with? If you have the proper enclosure for the subs, you should still get good output from just 400watts, all depends on what you're wanting out of the system.
jorge3443 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
well i got a sealed enclosure that came with the two subs it gives each sub around 1.5 cu ft i believe so would this make them sound good or should i start looking for a new amp
tdsteele 
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Sealed enclosure, I would get a bigger amp. My experience with sealed, which is limited, is it takes more power to make them really perform. Vented seems to be alot more forgiving as far as underpowering goes. So, with what you have, I would give two choices (understand that I don't know much about your particular subs), bigger amp would be best solution I think, or could possibly look into porting the box you have. I tried searching for the parameters for this particular model but I can't find it so, not sure about the porting issue. Hvae found one website that did not recommend ported so.

Now on a side note, if you have not installed this yet, I still think I would hook it all up and see the results before I started going and buying more, unless you could take the amp back and swap it out, if not then, give it a shot. My brother runs a 800rms sub in a sealed enclosure with only about 300rms on it and it does more than he wants so, it's all in what you want out of it.

jorge3443 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
i have not installed everything yet so i will give it a try and see how it sounds. i cant return the amp so if its not working well im gonna try to sell it and get the mtx tc8001 which now that i have full understanding should work perfectly with the subs.  thanks for all the help
tdsteele 
Posted: May 19, 2007 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Hope it works out good for you!
kreggbagley 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
i have a legacy LA770 500w x 2ch amp & 2 fosgate 12 600w punches. i need 2 know how to wire it together.
baggy bagz bagley
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

kreggbagley wrote:
i have a legacy LA770 500w x 2ch amp & 2 fosgate 12 600w punches. i need 2 know how to wire it together.

We need more information. Are your subs dual voice coil? What is the impedance of the coils? The model # would be helpful.

'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic