icon

rattles and vibrations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scottsmtrsports 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

I am wondering what are all of the options to help eliminate unwanted vehicle vibrations and rattles. Everyone has heard of dynamat and other similar products. But I have an 04 BMW that the speakers are mounted directly to the door panels and rear deck panels instead of  the stiffer sheetmetal as I am sure many other vehicles are. The problem is that the speakers themselves vibrate the panels due to insufficent mounting and thin panels. I have purchased some dynamat but am wondering if that is the best thing to use on the back of my panels. (molded wood pulp and plastic)(Is it enough?) I have thought about fiberglassing the backs of the panels to stiffen them up but that could turn into a real mess especially if it doesn't work. Also someone suggested to me to use foam between the panels and the sheetmetal to dampen and stiffen them. I have also seen expanding spray foam mentioned.

I would really like to hear from everyone who has dealt successfully with this all to common problem so that I don't make an unrepairable mistake.

Thanks in advance

rboutin2 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
dynamat and similar products would work i believe. I had a ton of rattles in my trunk, in places i didnt even know existed, then i used fatmat in my entire trunk, except the lid (ran out), and the sound improved considerably, and now most, if not all of the rattles are gone. Now i just need to get my trunk lid and doors done, as they rattle really bad...
Disturbin' Tha Peace
scottsmtrsports 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Did you use the fatmat on the upholstered door panels or on the metal doors? Fatmat is the product that I bought I just want to make sure that it is going to work before applying to the panels because it will be very difficult to remove and I am afraid that it may prevent me from bonding anything else over it.
14.4eddy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
you want to remove the door door panels and apply it to the inside of the door a heat gun and good roller will make the job go better and once it is applied it is NOT REMOVABLE so be sure you dont put it where you dont want forever
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

dynamat and other products like it are great for stopping metal vibration, but it will not always get rid of it all. It is a great place to start, but in my old celica I had to make the area between the outer quarter panels and the frame a solid mass of spray foam. I also did dynamat on every bit of metal in the trunk that I could reach, and put a piece of foam weather stripping between every plastic panel. the only rattle that still was there was the rear window wiper.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic