icon

mdf box, fiberglass reinforcement?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
john43 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2007 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Bear with me this is my first post, and I'm a math guy, not an english guy lol.
I am having some space constraints and would like to build a box with a volume of 1 cubic foot. I would like two boxes, one on either side of the trunk, fairly contoured to the car in order to create more air space. I have access to free mdf up to 3/4" thickness, and could probably pay for 1", unless it was a small enough ammount than he would probably give me it for free. I also have access to appoxy and hardener, my school has two 40 gallon drums of each. I would have to buy the glass and probably the appoxy if any amount was needed.
Okay back to the problem. I measured all the space I have (I'm a goalie in hockey so trunk space is needed) and only come up with approximately .8 cubic feet using 3/4" thick mdf. I would not like to change the outside demensions of the box if I could as it would eliminate much needed trunk room. I was wondering if I could use thinner mdf and strengthen it with fiberglass? I would like to use mdf as much as possible as it is free.
I was also planning on using our cnc maching to router a design into the outside of the box if I was using mdf, good or bad idea? If glass is a good idea what kind should I buy? strips, mats, or, I'm not sure what it is called but an auto body friend spoke of relativly thick mats that use alot of resin but only one layer. Please keep in mind the only fiberglassing I have done was on a bulkhead for a kayak using appoxy that was yet to be installed.
any solutions or suggestions are much appreciated
John
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
mdf box, fiberglass reinforcement? -- posted image.
If you are talking about making something similar to this, wodd is not nessicarry, you can make a box of all fiberglass...but you need to insure it is air tight, and that you make it strong enough.
The process )\(the simple version) is as follows.
Remove carpet from back of trunk
Set carpet up so it is in its shape is holds in the trunk (sometimes you have to do the first few steps in the car because the carpet wont hold its shape)
Tape with lots of masking tape, and use something like a pait liner to keep resin from adheing directly to the carpet.    Liner then tape then tape some more!
use a light coat of fiberglass mixture to cover over the tape. when this dries you will have your shape.
add fiberglass chopmat, woven fiberglass mat, or other fiberglass strentgh materials to your form while still attached to the carpet.
remover mold and begin to build the back side of your enclosure up wven more, generally 1/4 to 1/2 inch thichness is good, but for higher end subs it may require thicker.
once the back side is strong, remove it from the carpet, put the carpet back in the car and check for test fit.
if its alright, then strech fabric over front of box and glass that.
build up like back, and be sure to keep test fitting.
im sure there are better write ups in the fiberglass fourm on here
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
John:
Remember to find the right subwoofers for the job.
Try these for small sealed enclosures:
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products_page.php?id=idq&type=sub
I had the Image Dynamics 10" in a very small box and was very pleased.
(note they work well in 0.30ft^3 to 0.60ft^3).
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
john43 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply jeffchilcott, that is basicly exactly what i want to do. and thanks for the link kfr01 i am looking around right now.
deemo 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
hi:
just same advise why don't u mount your amp against the backseat;thats what i do in most of my installations...to create more space.
remember to use a small paint roler to role out all the airbubbles of the resin...
deemo

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic