icon

enclosure bracing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
travis 06 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly is needed to properly brace a enclosure with a sub capable of moving alot of air particulry a MOJO 15. Also a box needing 3.5cu.ft tuned to 40hz . How do you add a slot port.
imaxspl 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure exatly how u should  brace the enclosure but to add the slot port you need to get the volume of the port. Use an enclosure wall to make your port so u can save room. Lets say you are using 3/4 mdf w/ port dim of 1x18x28. Add the extra thickness of the board and u have 1.75x18x28=882cuin.
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

well the purpose of bracing an enclosure is to try and make the box as solid as possible so it will resist flexing.  what i like to do is add more wood to the inside of my enclosure. what i end up with is something that looks like it has several different chambers inside the enclosure.  the way i overcome this by cutting holes into the wood that i add so all of the different chambers are actually connected to form one chamber for each driver.  remember, you have to compensate for the added displacement of each piece of wood you add, and subtract the hole you cut.   this is just how i do it, i am sure there are several different ways to approach this.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of ways to add bracing; just keep in mind that it is the very center of each baffle expanse that is most subject to flexing.  Bracing from center to center is ideal but not always possible, such as from center front to center back.  So, brace as close to center as you can.

enclosure bracing - Last Post -- posted image.

This pic illustrates one of a number of ways to use up scrap lumber to make the braces.  A common way is to use a full size interior baffle and rout large holes in it, as was described above.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
oohhhh  look at the pretty colors!!!  nice illustration stevdart!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
skeleton bracing is what it is called IRC
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

There are a lot of ways to add bracing; just keep in mind that it is the very center of each baffle expanse that is most subject to flexing.  Bracing from center to center is ideal but not always possible, such as from center front to center back.  So, brace as close to center as you can.

enclosure bracing - Last Post -- posted image.

This pic illustrates one of a number of ways to use up scrap lumber to make the braces.  A common way is to use a full size interior baffle and rout large holes in it, as was described above.

I've read you ideally want to make them slightly off center so you don't have two of the same size panels that will have the same resonance.  Maybe that's looking to much into it though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic