icon

running ports into the cabin

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kamberkash 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
  i was thinking of running the ports from my enclosure into the cabin of my vehicle. i have not heard of this before, and i was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this. my reasoning behind this is i figure that with the enclosure in the trunk, the sound has to travel through the rear deck and through the back seats. it makes since that if i run the ports into the cabin of my vehicle, it should be louder since there is nothing in the way of the sound, right?  if all of this is true, i will be running the ports out of the top of my enclosure and into the rear deck.  i plan to use slot ports, and if i am not mistaking it doesnt matter if the ports hang out of the box, as long as the are the correct length.  like i said , any thoughts on this would be very helpful!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
No, it doesn't really work like that, unless perhaps you are building a bandpass enclosure.  If the ports are in the cabin all that might be "louder" is the very limited output from the ports.   A lot of people do this, by the way, with variable results.  In general I do not recommend trying to port into the cabin.
Support the12volt.com
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well, this can be done but only with a bandpass enclosure. The sound you are looking for it a combination of both the speaker and port working together. Now, if you just fire your port into the cab you will lose certain frequency response. The only way this would work is in a bandpass enclosure where both the sound of the speaker mass moving and the resonance of the port work in sync. My suggestion would just be to leave it in the trunk and fold the seats down when you can for more bass...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

ok since this wont work, what if i didnt actually run the ports into the cabin, but rather just cut a hole in the rear deck? e.x.- my enclosure is in the trunk, ports and everything.  if i make a hole in the rear deck, do you think it would be louder? considering the fact i cut a rather large hole!

now that i think about this, wouldnt this basically be like putting the enclosure into a hatchback with a rear deck?

cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
kamberkash wrote:

ok since this wont work, what if i didnt actually run the ports into the cabin, but rather just cut a hole in the rear deck? e.x.- my enclosure is in the trunk, ports and everything.  if i make a hole in the rear deck, do you think it would be louder? considering the fact i cut a rather large hole!

now that i think about this, wouldnt this basically be like putting the enclosure into a hatchback with a rear deck?

Yes that would work quite well, ive done it numerous times...Cut a rectangular hole and make a cover for it with some grill cloth...
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

I'll throw up some old pics I"ve used a few times before:

running ports into the cabin - Last Post -- posted image.

running ports into the cabin - Last Post -- posted image.

In this car, there was an existing OEM subwoofer cutout that I used for the trunk-to-cabin vent.  Your imagination is your only limitation.  Your goal is to open the trunk cavity to the cabin so that the air pressure equalizes.  The sub is much stronger where it counts...where you sit...when an opening is made.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kamberkash 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
is there a certain size i should make the hole, or will any size work?
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Keep in mind, depending on the vehicle, the rear deck is usually a vital part of safety cages, and crumple zones.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart; i've seen this pic before in the forum and just want to say, nice job! I think it'd be adequate for some good SQ.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic