icon

building a component set

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
i'm in the process of make a fairly decent component set-up. I want to be able to have a good sound on a budget. i was thinking that i was going to purchase my mids's and then purchase my crossover and tweeters later. What will sound good for this set-up? listen 2 mainly rap (if that will help) i had in mind the kicker 6.5" mids and later maybe some name brang crossovers and hopefully some kicker tweeters, whats do you think?
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

Componet sets are just that... 'sets' ... passive xovers are really designed for the speakers they come with...  the precise impedence of the speaker determines the xover points in passive setups.. just sort of mixing and matching technically works... this isn't the way to construct a proper componet set.

You'll also find that by doing it in little steps like this you'll end up with something that isn't optimized and is a bit more expensive than something that is...  plenty of exceptional sounding componet speaker systems for ~$150... much less that seperate midbasses, tweets, and xovers.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Brutal Truth Time. I just calls it likes I sees it.
1: Sedate is right.
And B: That being said, if you listen to "mainly rap" go down to your local Pep Boys or Swap-O-Rama, and buy the cheapest set of components you can find on the shelf... Save yourself about 100 bux, and it's a complete set... done and done! I suggest Coustic. Rap (OK, most rap) has NO CONCEPT of anything even resembling a decent quality recording, (it's all "smiley-face-EQ'd, anyway) and it's going to sound pretty much the same, no matter WHAT you listen to it through.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
sqsq 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
With hip-hop you really won't notice much of a difference going from regual coaxial speakers to components.  If you add tweeters it will make the highs higher, but it won't really doing anything as far as enhancing detail or quality because (as others have mentioned) most hip-hop is very musically undetailed and most of the beats contain samples--samples are typically not the greatest of quality.  In fact, adding tweeters could actually make the music sound worse because of the imperfections in the samples that will be accentuated.  I would honestly say you're better off with good coaxials--kicker's are okay, but for the same price you can get Polk audio speakers which are a much better sounding speaker (for all types of music including hip-hop).  If you're still set on components, then wait until you can afford to buy a complete set (midrage/tweeter/crossover)--it's better that way for a number reasons.
memfus_boi 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2007 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
really i was gonna pay $45 for a brand new pair of kicker's thats why because i get such a great discount!!! but 1 last question..... when i do purshase these speakers my original size is 6.5" rounud are kicker coaxial oversized? i heard the SS model are but i'm going with either the KS or the DS series
If I'm to loud, then you're too old!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic