bass distortion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
naveedh 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Hi .

I'v got some 6x9's installed in my car that are running of a Pioneer stereo 50x4w.... They drive perfect at low levels, although if i crank the volume up, the bass distorts and isnt so punchy.

Does this happen due to lack of power and i need to amp the speakers with a more powerful amp or are  they just doodiee speakers (JBL powerseries rated 2-250watts)

austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
It happens due to too much power, and most likely, you're trying to push too much bass through them.
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

If you have the bass turned up on the headunit you might be sending a distorted signal to them as soon as you turn it up.  They're 6x9's not subs so you can't expect big bass out them to begin with.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
The best thing you could do is high-pass those speakers at around 100Hz and add a subwoofer.  Also make sure your gain is set correctly.
Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you, DYohn. I was waiting for someone to say that!

You see, naveedh, those speakers could actually handle more RMS power. Your problem is that they, like zhalverson said, are not meant for bass so are distorting from too much going to them.  Put the h/p filter along with correctly set gains like afor mentioned and you'll be satisfied i'm sure. Good Luck!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 21, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
I'll bet once the gain is set correctly and any bass boost on the amp is turned down the distortion will disappear.  And they will probably have decent bass to boot.  It really sounds like you are clipping the signal.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic