< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monkies 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2007 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
from http://hsconnect.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=14007
JBS Technologies to reopen
By PAUL GIANNAMORE, Business editor
WINTERSVILLE — The world headquarters of JBS Technologies is alive again at the Jefferson County Industrial Park.
JBS, manufacturer of after-market remote car starters and alarm systems, closed without notice to employees or customers in early March, but a former employee has purchased the business and is working through the process of restarting the assembly line.
Brett Barta, from Summit County, was vice president of sales for the previous corporate entity of JBS Technologies. JBS, founded as Bulldog by the Snyder family, had been sold in 2003 to a venture firm out of Michigan, Strength Capital. The company closed JBS in early March.
Barta said he had been with JBS for about five years and had resigned with intentions of starting his own similar company just before JBS went into receivership.
“I was going to try to establish my own line and looked at leasing or buying the building, but it seemed the best case to buy the company as well and start from a turnkey operation,” Barta said.
The machinery to assemble the starters and other items were intact and ready to run, he said.
Barta intends to hire as many of the former JBS employees as he can, but he acknowledges the business will go through a slow ramp-up.
“Right now, we’re assessing what’s going on. I’m installing new computer operating systems throughout the building and getting the phone system going again and doing all the due diligence that needs to be taken care of,” he said.
Among the work is obtaining the former representative force that sells JBS items. There were 18 representative firms throughout the country.
“I’m flying all over, visiting our retail customers,” Barta said from his office at JBS on Tuesday.
He said about a half-dozen employees are working, slowly ramping the facility back into production.
“Our business model here always was to sell in the spring, build in the summer, ship in the fall and collect in the winter,” he said.
He said claims that the market for after-market car starters had waned with the advent of many new cars coming from the factory with remote starters installed are overstated.
“What hurt us was a couple of unusually warm winters,” Barta said. “So far, all of our clients and major retailers are still on board.”
JBS had pretty much cornered the market on after-market car starting and alarm systems over the years, holding as much as 87 percent of the do-it-yourself retail market for the products. Major chains including Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sears, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, O’Reilly Auto Parts, CSK and Sam’s Club all sold JBS products under the Bulldog name. During the past two years, Barta explained, JBS had moved into the independent dealer market under the Alert and Carroll Shelby brand names.
He said it made sense to re-establish the existing JBS because it had employees familiar with the work and good retailer relationships.
“We’re looking forward to bringing back as many of the employees as we can, but it will be a slow process,” Barta said.
There had been about 20 employees working at JBS when it went into receivership.
The 37,500 square-foot plant was the first occupant of the Jefferson County Industrial Park off state Route 43 in the late 1990s.
Local businessman Derek Ferguson had saved jobs in early 2006 at JBS by reaching a deal to purchase the building with a five-year lease agreement to JBS. There had been about 66 employees at the facility at the time of the lease. Without the change, the former JBS owners were said to have been ready to move the plant into Western Pennsylvania.
JBS products, according to its Web site, jbstech.com, include the do-it-yourself line of Bulldog Security systems, including remote starters, security systems and keyless entry systems; the Alert products available for dealers and distributors with remote starters and deluxe security systems and keyless entry systems and accessories; the Carroll Shelby line of security, remote start and car care products; and the CellSTARTS system that allows control of a vehicle from any distance through use of a cell phone instead of a key fob.
monkies 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
From http://www.aftermarketnews.com/default.aspx?type=art&id=82617
Access 2 Communications, LLC Purchases JBS Technologies
In Tuesday, May 22, 2007 Issue, Category:Parts and Accessory News
Printer-friendly version
E-mail this article
Subscribe to aftermarketNews
Posted: May 22, 2007, 9 a.m., EST
From aftermarketNews.com staff reports
STEUBENVILLE, OH -- JBS Technologies, the small, Steubenville, OH-based manufacturer of vehicle remote starters and security systems that closed unexpectedly back in March is soon going to be back in business. The company has been acquired by Access 2 Communications, LLC (A2C) and will officially open its doors for business, in its original location, on May 23.
Access 2 Communications has purchased only the assets and not the liabilities of JBS Technologies, according to Brett Barta, former VP of sales for JBS, and now CEO of A2C.
Commenting on the acquisition, Barta said “We are going to retain the Alert, Shelby and Bulldog name brands. Our first priority will be starting up the tech support and customer care departments. All the employees at A2C wish to thank the loyal customers of JBS Technologies and look forward to servicing the same trusted brands with a new improved relationship. We are excited to re-establish contact with all the customers and continue being the leader in the automotive aftermarket.”
Access 2 Communications can be reached at 800-561-1110, http://www.bulldogsecurity.com, http://www.alertautomotive.com or www.shelbyautosecurity.com. The company will be exhibiting at SEMA Booth # 11048 this year during AAIW.
revn_rx7 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

Boy, was this a relief. I had recieved a Bulldog Security system that essentially melted down and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a warrantee replacement. I haven't heard anything good about Bulldog overall and my experience hasn't been the best, but they did honor thier warrantee when the installation instructions failed to mention that the Trunk/Hatch release needed a relay.

I've just gotten off the phone with tech support and they now want $25.00 as opposed to $20.00 for the repair/replacement, but hey, it's cheaper than buying it new, or getting another brand I'ld have to completely rewire the car for. This installation is in a 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL with after market door-lock actuators, window rollup module, rear hatch release, dual stage shock sensor, and dual stage interior radar sensor. Yes, I know it's a lot for such an old car, but you don't put an alarm in your house because you're worried about someone walking off with it.

I'll let you know how this whole thing works out.

5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well, that means more job opportunities. Which is always good. Hopefully it gets some installers off the street and into tech support jobs.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic