icon

2 way alarm choices

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badfishlbc 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, wondering if any of you can make any good recommendations. I'm having problems choosing a 2 way alarm. Here's my list of pros and cons:
DEI - Good support but only for dealers, I am no longer a dealer and I will be doing my own install. They have a 7900 that just came out and my distributor told me all their units got recalled. The 791XV remote is clunky and my friends that have them say not to buy the 791XV.
Crimestopper - I have a first gen 2013FM. It has a strange door sense problem since day one which is purely the alarm's fault and not the car or install. The battery life is good, this is a rebadged Scytek unit. They have an Infinity FM which looks interesting, not even sure if it is out yet.
Scytek - Well since my Crimestopper is a Scytek I have mixed feelings. Also worried about the support.
Compustar - Mildy interesting alarms. Concerned about support and remotes don't look impressive.
Basically if I get a 2 way, i want it to have good range, vibrating, and decent battery life. If not, maybe I should just go 1 way.
The choices available right now seem terribly disappointing, is there any decent on the horizon?
Sorry for the rambling, I'm just really discouraged with what's out there...
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Why wouldn't you get the 791xv?  What are they issues that your friends are having?  I dont know how the other alarms compare because i've never installed them but I can assure that vipers are great alarms.  I personally have the 5900 which is the SST model.  Only downside i've seen with the 791xv is that the remotes aren't as durable.  Here in NYC vipers have amazing range.  Just my 2 cents.
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
What about the Autopage 1000 OLED?  It has 1 mile range and is color display!  www.autopageusa.com
Team Edge Audio
mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
i use the viper 5500 or the 5900 - 1 mile range sst. No problems with range at all.
accessdenied 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
I just installed the Autopage RS-900. A customer liked it so much better than the DEI 791vx because the it offers so much more features like cabin temp, parking meter timer, knock sensor along with the basic feature of vibrating alerts or both vibe/sound alerts.
It's compact too with 5 built-in relays for the remote start stuff.
Only one external relay for the starter kill to wire.
There's also is a wire that when pulse grounded will activate/de-activate the remote start. This is one feature I do not see in other alarm systems and is really used for testing the engine start part of the install without using the remote.
This wire can also be used for the DEI 556T engine timer module which I recommended to my customer.
The thing about the rs-900 is the wiring colors/harness are exactly the same as the RS-1000 with the only exception of the OLED remote transceiver unit. So this mean you can upgrade to the 1000 by just replacing the brain module. Both are 2 way with 1 mile range with 3 extra channel (-) outputs (configurable) for other accessories.
Sorry for the long write-up but I highly recommend these 2 alarm systems.
Good luck!
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
NOTE to accessdenied.. I haven't installed a DEI Viper or Hornet remote start alarm that doesn't have the remote start activation input wire (generally WHITE/ blue).
Ive installed both the Viper 791VX and the Hornet 564T - practically the same alarm .. both are 2-way. I know you can check the internal temp. of your car with the 564T as it was a customer showed it to me. I am unsure if the 791 has the same feature; the ones Ive installed before haven't but that was when they first came out.
I had installed 1 of the CrimeStopper 2-ways before I was able to get DEI and I was not impressed with their remote. The DEI remote shows much more information. As well as all of the CrimeStopper remotes seem very cheaply constructed to me.
The downside to all 2-ways that I have seen is the size of the remote, I haven't seen any of them that are "small", but I don't think you can get them any smaller than they are and be able to display all the information they do efficiently.
accessdenied 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
drvnbysound wrote:
NOTE to accessdenied.. I haven't installed a DEI Viper or Hornet remote start alarm that doesn't have the remote start activation input wire (generally WHITE/ blue).
Ok I stand corrected. Same color on the Autopage 2 way alarm choices - Last Post -- posted image. 2 way alarm choices - Last Post -- posted image.
drvnbysound wrote:
The downside to all 2-ways that I have seen is the size of the remote, I haven't seen any of them that are "small", but I don't think you can get them any smaller than they are and be able to display all the information they do efficiently.
This is where the OLED remotes are nice... changes the whole display entirely. Each alerts to it's own screen. In color too...
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
If your looking for those features that accessdenied is talking about then the hornet or autocommand(both are the same) will do the trick.  Reason why I like DEI alarms is because you dont use a relay for the starter kill.  You would only use the green and purple wire to interrupt the starter. Only thing I always tell customers is that basically the 791xv and hornet 564t are the same wiring but different range.  The 564t is rated at 1000ft and the 791xv is rated at 1/4 mile.  The 564t are cheaper and carry an extra remote which the 791xv dont carry.  In all, the 5900 is the highest rated range at 1 mile or you can go with an add on viper 210 which will give you command of the car via cellphone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic