icon

how do i get the air space for this box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
butcha 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
its for two 15" kicker comp cvr's with a fosgate bd 1000 its going in a 2004 crown vic its goin in between the wheel wells so he can still have space for his trunk floor. how do i calculate the air space for this box each sub should be at 2.5 cu.ft. i will have a window divider in the middle so the box has to be at 5 cu.ft. thanx if i left ne thing out let me know....how do i get the air space for this box -- posted image.
my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Pretty close... I'm getting 3.11 cubic feet per side, outside dimension, and GROSS. IF you measure internal dimensions, subtract the bracing, and subtract woofer displacement, I think you'll be pretty close.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
butcha 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

if u dont mind me asking how did u come up with that number?4

my friends call me butcher i fear no wires that dont belong.......................
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
You can figure it one of two ways.
19*17*20=6460 cubic inches MINUS 9*6*40=2160 cubic inches
6460-2160=4300/1728=2.48 cubic feet.
(I must have done something wrong on the first calculations...)
The other way:
10*17*20=3400 cubic inches PLUS 9*11*20=1980 cubic inches
3400+1980=5380/1728=3.11 cubic feet.
(Apparently, that's the way I did it... how do i get the air space for this box -- posted image.)
Basically, you just figure it as two volumes, and then add them together. If you figure the INTERNAL volume, it'll be the same, either way you go. I figured external volume, as stated earlier.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
The INTERNAL volume of your box assuming you are using 3/4 inch material and a 3/4 inch divider is 4.69 Cu Ft.   This is the actual box volume I did not subtract the volume of your woofers.
    Just so you will know how to figure your box volumes on your own. The formula for a simple square or rectangle box is as follows. Since you are wanting to know the INTERNAL volume of your box you will need to use the Internal dimensions of your box.
   Length X Width   X Height (in inches) = Cubic Inches. Then you will need to divide that number by 1728. That will give you Cubic Footage.
    The box you have is a little bit trickier with the offset at the bottom.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic