icon

relay issue, not covered yet?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bartmo1 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, me again.  I finally got around to installing and upgrading my 'BIG 3'.  With this install, I also revamped my battery set up(2 Kenetik HC800's).  I am using one for the main battery and the other as a secondary - seperated with the isolator.  Here is where the problem lies - the voltage reads into the isolator as 13.87 and on the out it reads 10.38.  I have 1/0 power wire running to each battery, both grounded with 3 lengths of 4 ga.  The isolator is grounded with 8 ga(is this where the issue is?).  The 12 volt source to the isolator is coming from the fuse panel(could this be the issue?).  I have yet to swap out the alternator to a high output...doing that tomorrow afternoon - going from 60 to 80 amps (will this be enough for my set up?) .  well, thanks again guys....keep up the good work/advice.
Christian
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Are your voltage readings with both batteries connected, or just the front battery?
I suggest taking a reading with the rear battery and wiring disconnected. If it reads the same with nothing on the output side of the isolator, you may have a bad one.
bartmo1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

Hey there, that is what I thought - had to get a second opinion.  I hate that www.sonicelectrnix.com site - always b/s'ing people.  I will give it a try tonight and see what plays out.

thanks again and take care

Christian
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2007 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
I would say to remove the isolator altogether, as long as the matching batteries are within 3months of each other.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
bartmo1 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys/gals.....removed the isolator - in its place I used a 'amp/voltage' digital display, just to see what happened - if anything.  I installed my 80 amp alt and am running both batteries smoothly.  The second battery drops to 11.6 at seriously high volumes but only shortly and powers back up.  Thanks again for your help. 
Christian
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Have you thought about hooking a Very Large Capacitor across the Positive and Negitive like they use on Amplifiers as a boost for bass?
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic