icon

remote start power source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dlek 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

sorry, this is almost a duplicate but the forum i topic was closed!

I have a Python 581xp being installed on a 96 lumina.  In the forum https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=85310&KW=remote+start+power+source GM vehicles were described to require 2 power sources and some "not withstanding high current" in the ignition switch.  should I run a line to the battery(don't want to) or is it safe to tap the ign 12+ constant? Thanks!

enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
According to my directwire info it you have a 12v power source from the red wire in the ign harness. Running your power off the red wire at the IGN harness should be fine.  Make sure that is the only 12v constant.  If there is another 12v then you can also tag that wire too.
dlek 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the info!

Is anybody familiar where the control module(Python 581xp) gets the ign+ input? The install manual shows the input ign 12+ signial in the satellite relay ribbon, but there does not seem to be a connection in the schematic from the car to the satellite module.  Should I splice the wire in the ribbon to ign input? I am probably missing somthing!  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

enice 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  

The satellite ribbon connects to a relay pack.  Do you have the relay pack??? The ribbon is flat and connects to the alarm and links to another small box that has about 12-14 gauge wires sticking out of one end  to connect to the ign harness.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
The red constant-power wire(s) at the ignition switch are fine.
As enice said, it's highly possible the car will have TWO consntant wires. (The second one could also be red, or maybe RED / white.)
If you have two constant wires in the car, connect each of the Python's red wires, to each of the car's constant wires, separately.
As far as the unit's ignition input:
--The thick pink wire in the relay pack gets connected to the car's ignition wire during installation.
--Inside the relay pack, where you can't see, the thick pink is connected to the thin yellow coming out the other end, in the ribbon harness.
--The ribbon cable is plugged into the brain, completing the circuit.
--It is important to note that the thick pink wire MUST be connected to a TRUE ignition wire, that is, one that does NOT lose power when you move the ignition key to the Start position. (This wire also happens to be pink on the car, too.)
If you were to connect the Python's pink to the wrong wire in the car, you wouldn't be able to enter/exit the programming mode correctly.
enice 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
Interesting you should mention that.  I was working on a BMW 325i and the car would not remote start.  After troubleshooting I came to find out that the acc wire of the remote start was connected to the ign wire of the vehicle(someone else did the ign connections while I was working behind the glovebox).  This actually tripped up the check engine light.  As soon as I solved the problem it remote started right away.  Like Chris Luongo mentioned earlier.  It is important and necessary to install the pink wire to a true ignition wire, not just for programming but for proper remote start sequence.
dlek 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

The info on the pink wire makes sense, however in the maunal the pink was marked output.  Thank you, I now understand how that circuit fits in.

Does the starter wire in the vehicle need to be cut if I do not want the starter kill? (its on my 96 lumina)

Is it possible to connect only the purple to vehicle? simply leaving the green(intended to connect to the cut starter wire, ign side) unused?

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
True of ALL BMW's. Note to would be R/S installers. On BMW's treat the purple cable from ign switch as Ign 2 not accessory! Testing and once trying to ignore this I hot wired and everything worked, it was only afterwards I realised that the EWS transponer stays active for a few minutes after ign key is removed!remote start power source -- posted image.
brhaugen 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Yes can split the starter wire or you can just tap it - depending on if you want the anti-grind/starter kill.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Why would you not want to have the starter kill/anti-grind feature if the relays for it are already built in? I could see not wanting to add additional wiring to do so if that was the case, but everything is already done and there for you to easily do.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic