weird amp problem, advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hardyboy86 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so here's the problem:

I have 2 amps.  1 that i know works, the other which i pulled out of the basement and am installing into my car.

I also have 4 sony xplods that i know work

The problem is as follows:

When i hook everything up, the amp doesnt turn on.

I used a multimeter, and the amp is receiving power.  So i dont think there is a power problem

I plugged in the speakers into a boombox (VIA THE WIRING), and they work as well.  So i dont think that there is a wiring (speaker) problem.

I plugged in the RCA's into the boombox, and they worked too (although one of the RCA's had a large pang, it was the high filter i think) So i think there is no wiring (RCA) problem.

My issue i think is the remote wire:  I checked the wire by plugging it straight to the battery, and the amp turned on, so the battery works. 

I have one of those old rockford punch amps, and when i forced it to turn on (via remote connected to batt., the light that signifies it being on was only half-lit...kinda weird)

So is my problem the head unit?! 

I looked on the unit for a mute button, cant find one but am currently searching the net for a manual (pinoeer deh 7600 i think)

Isnt it weird that the head unit works fine, everything else perfectly (display, cd player, RCA output (as far as i can tell) but not the REMOTE?

note:  I tried to force the amp on with the rca's in and the speakers, and the amp didnt turn on. 

Thanks for any help guys

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
The voltage out from the deck might be just a little low for the amp to trigger on.  You can instead just wire remote to a switched 12 volt source in the car.  Put a toggle inline if you want to be able to turn the amp off while the car is powered on.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

You could also use a relay that is triggered by the remote turn on wire, that way it is on and off with the radio.

I would try using a friend that has an amp in his car that you know works and swap your amp that you have a doubt about with the known working one and see what happens. if it works, than you have more troubleshooting to do. If it doesn't you have some shopping to do.

dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
Check for corrision on the battery terminal. as well. i had an issue similar to that. (long story) ha
"dont ground out!"
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2007 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Check to make sure the amp is grounded solid.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic