icon

power inverter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steveskal 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2007 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone, I am brand spankin new here. I wanted to get some feedback from you on power inverter's. I have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade and intend on putting a PS2 in shortly so I purchased an inverter from E-bay: http://cgi./dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290122508427&rd=1&rd=1

So, first I would like to know if this one is any good, and then opinions on if I went too overboard, now I know I could have gotten away with a much smaller one for the sake of the PS2 but I figured it would be nice to have the extra power in case I ever need to hook something larger up. Should my stock electrical system handle this OK, any problems anyone foresee? I plan on running 4 gauge straight to the battery, what size fuse should I use? Thanks a bunch!

wire4veins 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
There is nothing wrong with having a little more wattage in that case. I could not pull up the link so I could not get the specs on that inverter, but almost all the inverters I have installed up to 8 guage has been sufficient. However without knowing the specs I could not say for sure on size and fuse.
wire4veins
"D"
Precision Autosound - Owner
MECP Master Installer
steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 3:35 AM / IP Logged  

Don't know why the link didn't work but here are the specs: Product Specifications:

.: 1000 Watts Continuous Power
.: 2000 Watts Peak Power
.: Low Batter Alarm w/ Auto Shutdown
.: Overload & Short Circuit Protection
.: High Surge Capability (to start motors)
.: Voltage Input Range: 10-15V DC
.: Voltage Output: 115V AC
.: Output Frequency: 60 Hz
.: Modified Sine Wave (MSW)
.: No Load Current Draw: 0.8A
.: Efficiency: 90%
.: Fuse: 30A x 8
.: Dimensions: 10.5"L x 6" W x 2.5" H
.: Made in Tiawan

steveskal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  

Also a pic:

power inverter -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
I see several issues here:
1: With 8 @ 30A fuses, a #4 won't be safe. While you may never NEED anything more, as far as power wires go, If the device overloads, you might not ever blow the fuses, risking inverter overheating, SEVERE voltage drop through the wire, and other possible damages. 240A will almost CERTAINLY need alternator upgrading, unless you never plan on using (let alone GETTING) more than a few hundred watts from it.
2: With 8 @ 30A fuses, I uspect this manufaturer is being QUITE a bit optimistic, either with output power or their fairly lofty claim of 90% efficiency. 240A in * 14.4v = 3456 watts in, divided by 2000 watts out = a 57% efficiency. One spes or claim is being dramtically overstated, so I'd feel a bit leary about the company from the get-go. Does the name "Audiobahn" mean anything to you?
3: Your provided opening-post link doesn't work because it's a link to eBay. Stated in the forum rules (which it seems you didn't read) prohibit (first of all) eBay links being made, and filter (secondly) any links that ARE made.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yea I doubt that inverter can put out 1000 continueous. I mean 8 30amp fuses is alot. You dont even need close to that for the ps2. A 200 watt can power the ps2. All you need to do is look on the back of the ps2 where the power cord plugs in  and it will tell you how much power it needs. I have an inverter that puts out 700 peak or something like that. My first one put out 200 peak. I had it mounted in my 02 cavalier down at the center console at the passengers feet. I didnt like it there just incase someone had wet feet. So I got a more powerful inverter for my other consoles and I put that one in my trunk. I ran the power wire up the driver side trim work to a toggle switch (one that has the plastic safety cover overtop of it). I mounted that at the bottom of my dash. Ran that to my battery using a fuse 9think 60Amp). Works great though I have no console out there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic