icon

momentary low volt problem @ start-up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2003 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone had a problem with a vehicles voltage falling below the threshold tolerance of some electronics when cranking the engine? If so were you able to find a solution that provides constant 12 volts during the short period of engine cranking. I have a problem in this regard with a Kenwood two-way radio in one of our customers cars and their idea was dual batteries ( seems like massive overkill!!! ) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

All two way radios that are hooked to the battery or ignition wire will shut down for a short time while cranking the engine. One way to get around this would be to install a second battery dedicated to the radio and being charged through an isolator. Another way is to delay the radio from turining on until the vehicle has started. This can be accomplished with a timed relay setup or with a sence circuit off the alternator.

I hope this helps in your decision,

Tom

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

I actually run 2 batteries and my stereo plays right through startup. even with the system cranked...however, I have my deck directly powered, bypassing the ignition wire, and running everything off constant 12v...

some people think its a pain in the ass to have to shut your stereo off manually everytime you get out of the car, but I prefer it that way...

copcarguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I am hoping to find a cheaper alternative to the dual battery route. This problem is happening county wide with all of the local police vehicles and I was looking for an easier, cheaper, and less intrusive solution. Does anyone think that a cap. would help in this situation to maintain the voltage at start up. There is not much by way of amperage draw as the radio is idle unless recieving or transmitting. The radio is 12volt batt. powered all of the time and has to remain that way for correct operation. Once again thanks for the input.
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

I think that the actual ignition signal cuts everything out so that it gets as much of the batteries power as possible...you could try wiring the 2ways directly to the battery and using a toggle to turn them on and off...I am kind of grasping at straws here, but not coming up with anything too fancy...maybe try the direct wire and see if the radios turn off or not...it may just be that the battery cant produce enough juice through startup to maintain the radios...

I just thought of this, re-reading all the posts here...would it be possible to run the radios off of a cap and wire in an isolator that could be used to isolate the cap itself only during startup?

do the radios have to be on 24/7?

copcarguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

I like that thinking along the lines of the isolator. I wonder what the lowest amperage is that isolators are available. The radio probably only draws .5amp max while idle.

To answer your question the radios are on anytime the vehicle is on duty and when the officer starts up the car the low voltage de-activates one of the radios critical functions that the officer then has to manually re-enable. If he does not hten the radio does not operate properly and creates a real safety issue in emergencies.

Let me know about the cap. isolator. I spoke to Monster earlier today and their tech dept is hopeful that a 1 farrad cap may help the problem. I am going to try to do some footwork to a local high end audio shop and bend their installation depts. ear on the subject. Since around 100 cars are affected they could make a few bucks off of supplying me with the equipment so maybe they will be willing to help.

I appreciate your help I know this is a little off the beaten path for this forum but anything is worth a try.

copcarguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
As I sat here thinking about the problem it occurred to me that instead of an isolator unit couldn't I just use an in line diode of sufficient amperage in the radio power wire prior to the capacitor tap point to allow the capacitor to only feed the radio and not discharge throughout the entire electrical system. I'm not sure if this is a brainstorm or just a passing shower! I welcome your input.
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

that sounds good to me personally, but I am no pro...mebbe some of the longstanding 12v gurus could field that one and shed some light on this shady situation...

anyone?

copcarguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2003 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

I think since the radio is fused at 20 amps if I install 3- 10amp diodes in parallel then I can achieve my goal as long as the 1 farrad cap will provide the needed power to the radio alone for the instant @ start up. I also seek enlightenment from the gurus!

Speak o great ones!!!

copcarguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2003 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
bump....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic