icon

having trouble shaping bodyfiller, curves

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2007 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

I am making a fiberglass door pod and i have a mount for my crossover that I am displaying.  I am trying to figure out how to make the 2 curves exactly the same(im shaping the edges with bodyfiller since its raised).  I am havng trouble making the very top corners exactly the same.  does anyone have any tips?

Here are the pictures of the curve im talking about, the 2 corners from different angles:

having trouble shaping bodyfiller, curves - Last Post -- posted image.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

I can't see your second and thrid picture, but here is what I do for these situations:

Get a contour guage (between $5 - $15 depending on width/construction) and grid the project. Use thte contour guage to match your ideal corner. Lock the guage and move to the next corner using the guage as your line to match. Sand down or fill in to get the project ot wear you want it.

Simple and easy ^-^

Ganbatte Ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

sry idk why they arent showing up on there, i keep trying to post it but they wont come up so ill post them here

http://simplecashbuilder.com/files/fiber/curves/3.JPG

http://simplecashbuilder.com/files/fiber/curves/2.JPG

silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2007 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
I realize that one side has more of a slope because its not even on both sides but ill try the idea above to see what i come up with
edgeaudio 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  
Heads up! You don't want to rely on filler for shape. Or you wind up in the situation you are in now. Also I'm would suggest just getting them as close as possible because they are not right next to each other. Are you painting them or vinyl or suede... some of the coverings will mask a certain amount of unevenness. Another nice trick with the filler is before its hardened completely is when you start shaping cuts way down on dust and hours of time!
Good Luck
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  

edgeaudio wrote:
Heads up! You don't want to rely on filler for shape. Or you wind up in the situation you are in now.
Good Luck

What do you mean? what should I use for shape? the part that has the longest side is mostly fiberglass anyways, its just that one side that has filler.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  

How far off are the curves? If they are close enough you'll have different options. Bondo will take care of uneveness that is 1/8" or less in difference. Otherwise I would use duraglass or something like that until 1/2". Any thicker than that, consider rebuilding or stretching FG cloth (not mat), reinforce with duraglass, and cleanup with bondo.

Anything else I can help you with? Don't hesitate to ask dear.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
is duraglass just reinforced bidyfiller? that is what I used on this, except its the bondo-glass  einforced filler
edgeaudio 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
having matching trim rings and skeletons before you wrap your project in fleece then aply the fiberglass resin. I prefer to make a "milk shake" mixture of resin and body filler, apply that to the fleece then when it kicks it is MUCH easier to sand, then re-enforce from the inside tear off pieces of fiberglass matting and apply on inside only, in the hard to get areas like behind the ring or tight corners use dura-glass or milled fiber (careful with milled fiber it's nasty stuff). then all you want to use the body filler on the outside is to smooth your shape, fill in air bubbles (rage gold or extreme is much better then bondo brand), next you glazed fill until perfect, i prefer high build primer next, sand, repeat, paint, "viola" you have a matching panel... i am guessing that you may have been a little anxious in the first few stages and now are trying to salvage what you could just as easily redo correctly in a shorter amount of time...
Remember: Learn from your mistakes and next project will seem easy.
silentblackhat 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2007 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

ill probably cut off everything except for the skeleton, and then do it later. i spent so much time on this project so far trying to correct things. i know the other side of the car will take literally 1/20th of the time to make now

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic