icon

amps turning off remote wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
easbert 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
Ok heres the set up from the top of my head..
Car is a 1998 Honda Civic HX
My H-U is a Clarion VRX925VD In-dash Dvd player (installed at a shop in 2003)
My subwoofer is a 12" JL Audio W7
I have three amps mounted on my back seat;
The subwoofer amp is a JL Audio 500/1
Then there is two MTX Thunder amps-- I think that one of them powers the 6 X 9's and then the other amp powers my JL Audio tweeters. There is also a small power cap im guessing to be .5 farads.
Ok, so I bought this car in March of this year, I have all the reciepts for the stereo equipment so I know it was professionaly installed. Everything worked great until about a month ago. I started hearing engine noises from my inside speakers. This lasted for about a week. Whenever i would hear the sound I would just turn off the head unit for a while and then turn it back on. Well after a while something happened and the noise stopped. Everything was working great again for another week or so. Then I had the volume up at a medium level, and the music stopped. The headunit stayed on but all three amps turned off. So I messed around with the wires a little and got the amps to turn back on, but they still VERY RANDOMLY will turn off. They arent overheating because sometimes when I get into my car and turn it on in the morning the amps will be off. Ive narrowed it down to either a ground, or a remote wire problem. My grounds seem to be working fine, but the amps just turn off for no reason, and the only way to get them back on is to turn off my headunit, and then back on (which only works sometimes!)
If anybody has had this problem please let me know some things that I can do without taking my car to the shop!! I cant afford all that!
Thanks
eric
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Try "hard-wiring" a jumper between the battery lead at the amplifiers to the remote terminal (with the remote wire to the deck REMOVED, PLEASE, don't want to fry that...) If the amps function perfectly, it is an isue with the remote lead, if not, it's still an issue. How is the power cable's condition? How is your ground's condition?
Because you said you were having some noise issues, I will want to lean towards an issue with the deck. After that, I would lean towards the amps. Also, the "turn-off/turn-on" system that occasionally makes things work again correctly, sorta points that direction as well.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
easbert 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I just want to make sure this is what to do;
I disconnect the remote wire from my H-U's wire harness.. Then you said a jumper? or did you just mean another wire and hook it up to where my main power is divided into 4.?
eric
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
Basically... All you really need to do is get a +12 volt signal to the remote terminals of the amplifiers... So they turn on... That's all. But, yes, you need to make certain the remote lead FROM the deck is not connected, before you do this. Then, if they work perfectly, then you can pretty much tell it's the deck.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic