icon

sliding draw amp rack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
3000dclass 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Whats up fellas, I hope im posting this in the right section, im new to this forum but love it so far!
   Anyways, let me give you some quick details about my plan here...
I have a 1997 Sonoma extended cab w/third door. I plan on putting two 15" subs probably in a sealed box(maybe two 15" TC Sounds TC-2000 subs?) http://www.tcsounds.com/tc2000.htm
And I have two Rockford Fosgate 1500.1bd amps for power(also 1 farad cap)
   Im thinking I would like to have my amps on a rack underneath my sub enclosure, but I want it to be some sort of rolling, or sliding tray that   I can pull out all the way when I open my extended cab third door. I wish I had a pic or a drawing to show, let me know if you dont understand what im trying to describe.
   The problem is im not sure what to use for it to slide out, only cuz I dont want whatever i use to rattle like crazy.
Now ive seen pics of stuff where people have something similar in SUV's, and can just pull out the amp rack from the sub box, how is that done, and by what kind of mechanism? I'll try to post a pic of what im trying to accomplish
Thanks
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 4:14 AM / IP Logged  
At the shop I work at, we usually use heavy duty drawer slides (100lbs.+) for sliding motions. Side or Under-drawer slides will vary based on the application, but they'll hold. From there it is a matter of planning to accommodate the motion.
I hope this helps somewhat.
Ganbatte ne!
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
3000dclass 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds great, do you know of any websites that sell them, im not very familiar them.Thanks
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

I would look at your nearest home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc)

Before we (some of the shop members and I) started up our business, that is where we got our racks from and just used the heaviest duty rails we could afford/find for the time. The installs that have them in it have yet to give issues.

Depending on the weight of the project, make sure your bolts/screws or whatever you are using to attach the parts to the sliders are strong enough. They will be your weak point in most installs.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesistate to ask.

Ganbatte ne!

3000dclass 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2007 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well that is very encouraging info, about the installs not having any issues. Im mostly concerned about a rattle noise from the bass vibration. Weight wise nothing should be a concern to me, only planning on two amps (10lbs each) on some sort of a tray. So I figure something like 30 lbs total would be the maximum amount of weight they would need to support. So it really just boils down to something that will not rattle as far as I can think of.
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2007 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  

That's pretty much it. That is why I like to go for the Heavy Duty ones from Home Depot. The bearings are a bit tighter of a fit and the heavier metal makes it much harder to rattle. I do recommend using a layer of dampener between the amp and rails to keep them steadier and hep reduce vibrations.

Ganbatte ne!

edgeaudio 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Seriously? with all that bass any decent set of sliders and an actuator will do just fine. if you are worried about the quality of Home Depot or your local guy, pickup a woodworkers supply catalog and you are all set. You may also find something you have never thought of yet. another great web site to check out is Selectproducts.com they have come in handy in the past and are really the only source i have found for 1/8" air staplers! so much easier for tight corners and curves on FG projects and you won't destroy your skeletons that use 1/4" mdf!
Good Luck!
Jason
Edge Audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic