icon

2005 Nissan Navara Frontier Keyless Mod - FYI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kiwitonita 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2007 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
I've found this site very useful - thank you!
Have been working on my cousins New Zealand new, 2005 Nissan Navara double cab 3 litre diesel 4WD to modify the factory central locking to keyless entry. It looks like the New Zealand Navara is the same as the US Frontier. Wire colours may be different though.
Control of the central locking is quite simple. The driver’s door key simply switches one wire to & from negative.
Drivers Door Key
The driver’s door key lock is connected to 2 wires: GREEN/ YELLOW (Gn/Y) and Black (Negative).
When the door is in the unlocked state Gn/Y is connected to Negative (Earth) and remains connected.
When the key is turned to lock the door, the switch is opened, Gn/Y is disconnected and remains that way.
If the Gn/Y wire is cut, all the doors lock and 12V is present on the Gn/Y wire coming from the vehicle.
Drivers inside door lock control
The driver’s door inside door lock control (on the arm rest) controls only the locks on the other 3 doors, not the driver’s door.
The inside switch connects RED / Black to Negative to lock the 3 passenger doors.
The inside switch connects Yellow/Black to Negative to unlock the 3 passenger doors.
At rest, R/Bk and Y/Bk do not connect to anything but have 12V present.
Connector
All the above wires can be accessed at the 20-way connector behind the driver’s foot kick panel. From there the wires go to the Body Control Module (BCM) which is well hidden behind the centre console. It can be seen on to the right if the glove box is removed and the securing screw for the module (about cigarette packet size) can also be seen looking through the hole where the passenger ash tray goes. Good luck getting to it if you ever need to – it looks like there’s about 5mm slack in the wires!
Remote control (Keyless entry)
In order to modify the central locking to keyless entry, it’s simply necessary to have a latching relay. I’d bought the Jaycar remote LR8839 but it is not suitable, being made for the reverse polarity systems common when installing after market door lock actuators. I’ll get an Oatley Electronics K239 instead as this has a choice of momentary or latched, and has 4 separate relays if anything else needs to be remote controlled. I've dealt with Oatley for years - very good prices and very reliable. Dick Smith (an electronics chain store in Aussie & NZ) don’t have any remotes.
Fortunately for this project I had a wiring loom out of an old Nissan diesel Bluebird and found more matching wire to extend the factory Gn/Y wire which I cut on near the 20-way connector. The remote control will bypass the key operation (unless I can figure out an easy way to have both the key system and remote system in operation).
I’ll arrange the connectors so that if the owner loses the key fob remote he can still get in the passengers door and in a few seconds disconnect the key fob receiver and reconnect the circuit through to the driver’s door lock so it’s back to standard. Additional key fobs are very reasonable at A$15.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic