icon

tv in oem overhead console

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cliffhanger0789 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2007 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

i have the full overhead console in my 2001 silverado and the back is suppossed 2 be 4 cd's and i was thining is there any way i could put a screen there? suggestions please.. i know i will have 2 modify the overhead console so it will flip down more what i need is an easy way 2 mount the screen.. help me please..

ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
can u post a pic of the console both open and closed?...what size screen?
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  

There is a way, but you'll have to be patient with it. I am assuming you want to use the area for CD case storage. You can't fit a large one in there really (unless you consider 7" large) but one could fit in there. You'll have to do some fabricating to make a matching console piece replacement and that will vary a lot based on how you want it built and your experience level.

I am assuming you want it to be a stealthy install, yes?

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
cliffhanger0789 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2007 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
yea a stealthy install as close to factory as possible, oem interation... fabricating any thing is possible i have the best installers at the school i'm attending
m.e.m.p.h.i.s.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Well for the most part, you won't be need that much fabrication. It's the finishing where you'll need the most work.

Best to get a 7" screen (I recommend Farenheit's 7" LCD that has a small bezel. about $120 on ebay) and build a flip-down frame for it that uses english hinges (Home Depot has them cheap enough) so that the faux panel on the frame will drop down as it opens and doesn't scratch the rest of the overhead or get kinked in it.

After you get the frame and monitor mounted, you'll have the fabricate the panel mentioned above. You'll have two options depending on how nice you were when removing the CD case section:

1) If you managed to get it out without damaging the panel, get the panel separated from the case holder and attach it to the frame so that it looks factory.

or

2) If you did manage to damage it where you cannot use it, I recommend getting a piece of ABS plastic and heat form it to a matching shape and contour. Then use a skim coat of bondo to smooth it out and use a texture paint of some sort to blend it all together.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic