the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

debate of how to face subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
if you are more concerned with quality rather than spl, then a sealed box is the way to go.  the way it would probably sound best is downfire, yet i would still have an EQ to tweak the frequencies where the box has its natural rolloffs.  you want the woofers to play the widest spectrum possible without going outside its range (usually about 150 hz or so and lower).  what frequency do the specs say the box should be tuned at?  to tune a sealed box low..it usually means a bigger box and/or polyfill.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
3000dclass 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Here is a link to JBL website for the speaker box i plan on making.
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO1504D&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=SUB&ser=GTS
just click on the "Boxes and Parameters" PDF to read what it says.
I dont understand what you mean by, 'what frequency do the specs say the box should be tuned at?'
It shows the whole range of frequency's that the speaker is capable of.
I thought I would just follow the specs for the sealed box, which is Vbox= 1.50ft3 per speaker. I plan on using two speakers.
   Would I not get the deepest bass from a box with Vbox= 1.50ft3?
I think that is a pretty small box, especially for 15" subs, and you said a bigger box, and polyfill? I was thinking of using polyfill, but I dont know what the effect would be filling up my box with that stuff. It would make it seem like its a bigger box then it is, but would that throw off the box size specs?
Installer_mss 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
the bigger a sealed box is the smoother the response is genarally.  all woofers will work in a variety of enclosures.  the manufacturer gives the average box that will work for the woofer in everyday use.  there are several box sizes it will work in, all having a different effect on sound.  each box also has is own tuning frequency as well.  you could go on for hours talking about this stuff.  just build the box how you want really.  if you'd like, i or someone on the12volt could help you if you want one designed for a specific application.
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

You'll just have to be careful about making the box TOO big. The box size that is on the PDF is designed to take advantage of the speakers Qs and give it the best performance (best response and clarity for loudness) Like MSS said, GENERALLY the bigger the box, the smoother the response, but it not like that in all the cases.

Now you said you were also looking for sound quality... I am assuming that you are looking for street bass quality sound and not competition SQ (which means flatline... REALLY bad for those looking to make their system a daily listener)

Such is the case, here is a brief summary of possibilities (though not all, jsut the most likely ones):

1) You go with the design specified by the PDF. You'll get excellent response even though it does seem that the box is on the tiny side. It will work for it. The Qs can support most boxes, but the way they designed and engineered it, it would seem that it was made specifically for sealed.

2) You go slightly larger and/or fill with Poly. You'll get deeper response notes and it will seem a bit louder because the Poly is absorbing the extra vibration and pressure from the back side of the sub. Clarity MIGHT, but not much if any, be lost unless you fill the box with more than 2 lbs of poly. If you go poly route, I recommend no more than 1.5 lbs of poly (really deep response).

3) If you go with a bigger box, any box below 4cf will suffice, after that, the speaker will think it is running outside a box and it is not designed for that, ie really poor sound. Based on the numbers for a sealed box, I wouldn't go past 3cf. After that, the speaker will suffer greatly in performance.

If you want my opinion keep reading... Otherwise Read past this paragraph Xp

I would stick to the manufacturer's specs on the box. They engineered the box to match the sub for that particular application. Yes, it does seem like it breaks the "common" rule of size for boxes, but if a billion dollar company is making it, I would like to think they know what they are doing... They didn't get as big as they did by making crappy products now, did they? Your subs are large enough that you'll get plenty of bass and boom without sacrificing quality.

Well I hope this helps out somewhat

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Installer_mss 
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

polyfill actually has the opposite effect on SPL.  it raises accuracy at the cost of loudness.  all woofers have a min box volume and a max.  if the box is too big the woofer has to rely completely on the stiffness of the surround and the spider to keep it from "unloading" or over-excursion.  you should lower the power going to the box if you go bigger than what the actual sub specs call for.  daily drivers can sound very good with smooth response boxes.  mine is a good example of such.  the more accurate the better, but some people are more concerned with spl.

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

>.< oh yeah... now that was a dumb mistake hehe... Well a girl can't be right all the time right? Just 99.9999999999%

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Installer_mss 
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
lol...i'll settle for being right 0.0000000001% of the time...at least it's not flat 0%
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic