weirdest problem ever 2003 honda accord

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trizz 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
The Situation:
I have a 2003 Honda Accord. Factory head unit. I would get a new head unit, but since the dash is weird, it requires an additional $250 part to make it fit.
I have a sub and an amp from my previous car. My boss and I installed it, as I'm not really knowledgeable of car stereo installations. He suggested the parts, and we made it happen. IT WORKS! With the factory head unit, the factory speakers, it works!!
The Exception:
The thing is that when the factory head unit is turned off, it sends a steady signal to the sub. I'm not talking ANY signal, I'm talking about a FULL, constant blast of bass. This only occurs when the radio is powered off and the car is on. Also, when this is happening - the subwoofer becomes very sensitive to proximity. If the trunk is open, the sub will emit a quiet hum, but if you close the lid - it gets louder and louder. This also occurs if you try to hug it (don't ask me how we know that).
The Solution?
We thought it was a bad ground, but turns out that wasn't the case. Changing the ground did nothing. We are completely and utterly lost as to a working solution for this problem. Hopefully, some of the geniuses and gurus in here may provide some suggestions.
I'm sending this link to my boss who helped install it. If you need technical information, he'll be the one help.
I thank you in advance for your future suggestions.
TriZz
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

So, when your HU is off your amp is still on?

Do you have the remote lead of your amp wired to your ignition switch lead?

'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
trizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
The remote lead is wired to the "Accessory" fuse in the fuse box. We first used the "radio" fuse, but the amp remained on even when the car was off. This was the only way to achieve the proper voltage AND have it turn off with the car.
98gsr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I'm the one who helped with the install. As Trizz said the remote is coming off the accessory. Could ther cause be that the amp is on without any signal? If so, perhaps we can tap into the factory wiring harness and come off the power antenna.

trizz 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
My car doesn't have an antenna!
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
The amp will be on whenever there is 12 volts going to that remote lead. So, with your current wiring, whenever the key is in the ignition.
If your factory head unit does not have a wire specifically designed to turn on accessories when the HU is on then I recommend you try the power antenna lead. However, in some stereos this lead will only be powered when you are listening to the radio (and off when you are listening to a CD). If that is the case, you may have to install a switch so that you can manually turn your amp off.
'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
try a PAC Trunk LOC
project_86 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
leave the deck on and turn down the volume when your ignition is on :P  that just sounds like the fun of using a line level with a factory deck.  switch would be a cheap route to make it work.  pac module would be afew bucks more but a really nice piece.  good luck.  p.s. check ebay, i seem to remember seeing that accord dash kit for 100$ 
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, i'd spend the money to do it right...
i've had one too many things go wrong with "rigging" things into a situation where they mostly worked.... or as in your case, worked too much.
besides, you'll have real control over your sound once you do it that way!
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic