icon

spl, 2 solo x 18 or 4 15 mtx thunder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basswannabe 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

ok i had a few questions actually. how would you guys compare 2 kicker solo x 18" subs to 4 15" mtx thunder subs? SPL wise. i haven't heard the thunder subs in person yet.

second question: i have 1 dvc solo x 18, built my own box, competed, got it to hit a lil over 147 DB's, made the box about 2cu ft smaller, to 7-8ish cu ft, changed the amp hoping to give it more power, and i only hit 134 DB's. i changed the amp from an MA audio hk3000d(rated at 1200 watts @ 14.4 volts, 3000 @ 17 volts...i was deceived, silly me) to a hi fonics bxi2607d (2600 watts @ 1 ohm). both are 1ohm stable, and hooked to 1 ohm. only turned up high for competition burps. my question is why did it hit so much lower? is it possibly the amp? or making the box smaller that big of a deal? or is the port maybe too big? if it's smaller would it increase the pressure?

third...lol: what amp(s) would you put on a solo x? whether it be one or more, or daisy chained? i read that it's not good to put one amp per voice coil for daily driving. is that true even if the amps were tuned exactly the same putting out the same output? or if you think i'd have higher SPL going with the 4 15" mtx's? or another high SPL sub? thanks in advance for all of this spl, 2 solo x 18 or 4 15 mtx thunder? -- posted image.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
How did you determine your box size? Did you just wing it and throw it together or did you actually use a calculating program like WinISD to come up with the proper box size? Thats a pretty crappy # for that sub to be honest. Im thinking your box is your problem here.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
basswannabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
i made the box to spec according to the kicker manual. said 5-10 cu ft. for it, so i was thinking i could make it slightly smaller as long as it stayed within the recommendations
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Port size has to change when you change to overall size of the box. You may have to go back to the drawing boards. Try downloading and learning WinISD and see what you can come up with. It's downloadable from http://www.linearteam.dk/
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

basswannabe wrote:
i made the box to spec according to the kicker manual. said 5-10 cu ft. for it, so i was thinking i could make it slightly smaller as long as it stayed within the recommendations

Five to ten feet? That's pretty vague of them.

'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
whats your charging system look like?   Is it even capable of supporting 3000-5000 watts RMS to power that sub to its full potential.
If voltage is kept constant (This is the only time I will say this about MA) The MA HK3000 is actually a very strong and good amp!   I would stick with the MA and make sure you can support its 300+ amps of curent draw and then work on a box
If you let me know what type of vehicle your using I could possibly help you with a box design for SPL comps only and maybe something for street.    For Street with that sub I would say 10-11 cu ft with 3 slot ports roughly 10X3x20+ inches long.
Im guessing your in a SUV but need a little more info
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
zacdavis 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Why 3 slot ports? That doesnt make any sense.
But yes, what vehicle?
Set up in an average suv I would suspect that X to do around a 150-152 with the given amount of power and the proper enclosure.
Hold off on buying more equipment, if you let us know your vehicle type we may be able top help you.
basswannabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  

it's a 2001 explorer sport. i'm trying to keep all 4 seats, but willing to wall it off in the back. the way i was thinking on the way home today, is to put my back seats down, then slide the box forward. it'll give me a little more room for a bigger box. cuz i want two of these, so they may need to be a little longer to make up for the volume. then i can fabricate some seats in the back trunk area behind the box. i rarely carry passengers, but in the times i do, they should suffice for the short traveling distance. i called the guy from ohio generator and he told me a 200 amp alt would be ok for competition burps. i hardly turn it up loud when i'm not at a comp. i dont have it installed yet as i havent quite found time. but it's sittin right next to me. 

yeah...5-10 feet does seem like a pretty big gap. but i'm almost positive that's what it said.

also, at 10cu ft, it said the port should be...i think it was 6 inches wide and 25 inches long? forget how deep exactly. but when i made the new box, i kept it 6 inches wide, but only came out to be 19 inches long.

thanks for the link. ima try that out

zacdavis 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
Is the Explorer Sport a 2 door?
Also, how loud would you like to be? Would you be happy with a 150+ in the kick? If so, don't bother buying another sub, one x18 will be plenty. I'll send you a box configuration that will put up huge numbers.
Btw, the stock class Explorer I used to run that did 155's with 2 15's and 2 3000watt amps, it had 3 additional batteries, but the alternator was stock along with everything else under the hood. Only one run of 4g back as well. The reason I mention this is because since your not going to be street beating the crap outta your system, I'd save the money and just add an extra battery and be done with that portion of the system. However, if you have expendable funds then upgrading your alternator and big 3 wouldnt be a bad thing.   
As for wattage, hmm, I'm not sure what that MA will truly put out with a ballpark 3000rms i'm absolutely certain we can get 150's out of that sub in your truck and do it while keeping all equipment in the cargo area.
basswannabe 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
well...i already have another sub on the way, and i have 2 amps. the MA audio put around...1200 watts at 14.4volts. so i bought 2 hi fonics bxi2607d amps. 1 ohm stable. figured i'd wire them parallel. 150+ would be great, but i wanna go to win spl, 2 solo x 18 or 4 15 mtx thunder? -- posted image.. saw a guy hit 155. i'll go out and figure how much room i have to work with in a little bit.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic