icon

audio business

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
huber 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
If I wanted to do car audio installs, custom work, etc. on the side what would be the proper way to going about to do this????
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Please explain exactly what you mean, "on the side". If your working for a retail store now, anything that you do on the side cant be anything that your store can provide ie boxes,decks,etc. without being a conflict of interest.Don't grab customers from work,or talk about it at work, and you'll have you ass covered.
sS
rtfm
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
No my bad....I don't install for a living....I am talking about doing this out of my garage, getting my own customers, and doing this on weekends, thur the week, for extra cash and fun!
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

So does anyone know....If I do this out of my garage....Do I have to pay taxes and basically start a actual business????

Anyone got the hook up on a wholesale audio dealer???

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
huber wrote:

So does anyone know....If I do this out of my garage....Do I have to pay taxes and basically start a actual business????

To do it legally, yes.  It's called starting a sole proprietorship and you must pay quarterly income tax.  You will also have sales tax to pay on anything you sell depending on your state  and local laws.  You may also be required to get a business license depending on the laws in your city/county/state.  Check it out before you simply jump in.

Support the12volt.com
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Oh ya forsure......Any idea's who I would contact to find out all that info?  Local county or city???
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

I would say before you even start contacting the city/county/state you should contact a few insurance companies.  If you are going to run an install business out of your garage you should most likley carry some insurance in case something bad happens.  The price of insurance is getting outragious, and it may not make sense to work out of your garage unless you are making some really good, steady money.

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
That is true didn't think about that
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Start at the city level too and head over to administrations and ask for the forms neccessary to start a business. That should explain everything you need to start an official business. That will include insurance requirements, codes that must be followed, needed permits, etc. The start looking at everything else from there.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic