icon

subwoofer power hogging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
interscope21 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, need some help here. I'm currently running 2 Alpine SWR-1242D 12' subs in a ported box, the subs are rated for 4 ohms. I have a Kenwood 1800 watt KAC-9103D mono amp driving them. When they 'hit' they both sound great!
Ok, now the problem. Sometimes they both 'hit', sometimes not. When I turn the power on/off the head unit, this can 'change' the bass response (seems like on the left side) which is odd in and of itself.
Both subs are working, but when they don't 'hit', it sounds like just ONE of the subs is doing most of the work. (the right sub). Sounds like it might be happening on the left side only.
Sometimes I can hear the bass decrease in the left sub as run the HU for a while, sometime I can hear the bass increase in that same left side as well, sometime they BOTh hit well for a while, but if I leave the HU off for a while then turn it back on...same issue.
I've also checked the wiring inside the box and all is good there ;-)
I've replaced EVERY component, including the head unit, amp, pre-outs, and speaker wire...EVERYTHING...SAME problem. The ONLY thing I can think of, is that I have them wired correctly (according to Alpine's diagram), but INDEPENDENT of each other, in other words, I have BOTH a left and right terminal input on the box, and have each sub wired directly to the amp but not DIRECTLY to each other within the box...should that make the difference?
I hope so...because I've run out of options here ;-(
Thanks to whoever responds!
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Make sure that you are experiencing the problem while listening to the same recording-song. If the problem exists only on certain songs you may be experiencing problems that only sound like one sub is dropping out.
If the output is actually dropping when driven hard and then returning to normal after you shut down and restart the system I would suspect that your amplifiers power supply is being over taxed. That can happen because either your subs are presenting to low of a load or the amplifier is being starved for power. I suspect that your amp might not be getting full power at the input terminals. Check your ground, power cable size, fuse holder connections, battery connections, and check for corrosion both at the connections and in the wire ends.
Has your system always done this or have you just recently installed it or changed something?
Also as long as the subs are wired correctly it dose not mater where the connections are grouped together (in the box or at the amp). If you suspect that the problem might be in the signal getting to the amp from the head unit, then wire your two subs in series temporarily. If the problem goes away you have narrowed it down to the amps power supply being over taxed. Recheck your power wiring
interscope21 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Changed the car battery. Problem appears to be solved. I'll have to give it a few days to make sure.
This issue had been getting progressively worse since the install, so no it wasn't always like this.
The old battery was starting to corrode, and the 4 gauge wire I had connected to it was not a prime connection to begin with. Do you suggest I also change the terminal plugs as well? I cleaned them out as best I could. Also, will my system KILL my new battery as well at some point?
Like I said, I pretty much swapped out ALL my components only to find out that I just needed a new car battery!!!...don't I feel like a dope ;-(
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
I would check your wiring...both subs should be getting the same signal
interscope21 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ok...here's the deal now. Alternator has NOW been replaced as well. It was practically 'dead'...only kicking out like 20-30 amps...Owch!
I've also re-grounded my amps and cap DIRECTLY to the chassis in the trunk...now difference. Issue remains the same..BETTER now that I have the new alternator, but base still 'weakens' on one side as the system is driven for a while. When I first turn on the system, It sounds GREAT for the first few minutes...then the issues!
Thinking of attacking (replacing) the ground wire the the battery now. Would that make any difference. I've already changed the terminal to the battery, but not the ground wire to the chassis itself.
I also noticed that the new battery is now starting is showing signs of corrosion on the positive terminal? Any idea why? I still think that I'm over taxing my battery somehow...HELP!!Ok...here's the deal now. Alternator has NOW been replaced as well. It was practically 'dead'...only kicking out like 20-30 amps...Owch!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

As Aznboi said earlier You have a  one channel amplifier.  This means that each woofer is seeing the same exact signal.  If one woofer is doing something different than the other, the problem is between the connection to the amp and the woofers themself.  Changing or upgrading your ground wire will do nothing to fix this problem.   You really need to look at your enclosure or your wires between amp and speakers.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

If it is fine until a couple of minutes, the cap is your problem. Caps only help the first few 'hits' or so. After this, it's just another load on the alternator.

Remove the cap and see what happens.

Also, as mentioned before, your subs are getting the *exact same signal. Therefor what one is doing, the other should be doing the *exact same thing. If not, the wiring to the one cutting out is not sufficient.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
interscope21 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
Back once again. OK. Same problems (sort of). Made some changes...BUT
What I noticed over the summer, is that while driving at a higher RPM, (highway) the system sounded GREAT..BUT...city or night driving had a NOTICEABLE difference in bass response...no surprise. I'm assuming it is because of the extra draw on the alternator...whatever.
SO...The first thing I did was change the car battery's GROUND cable with a 2 Gauge Ground cable found in most auto part stores. In my car, this cable grounds in 2 places (2000 Nissan Maxima)...(1) to the chassis, and (2)to the engine block.
After doing this however, the bass response seemed to get much, much WORSE not better, and actually seemed to change the frequency output of the amp/subs somewhat (very weird!)
Now I'm starting to get wizED off! So thinking it could STILL be the the battery, I upgraded THAT to a yellow top Optima...BIG difference in power output, but bass continues to 'sound' different... and sub amp seems to fluctuate it's output to the subs...it just does it with more 'juice' now...
Guy at my local car audio store seems to think that my amp might be bad...so I'm beginning to address that possibility, as the Kenwood sub amp cannot seem to replicate the power output to the subs every time I turn the system on/off.
Also noticed the lights 'flicker' a bit on a 'bassy' track...where before (I upgraded the ground cable) they didn't...that I noticed.
The other 200 watt amp (powering 2 sets of Infinity separates) sounds just FINE...BUT it also has no real bass demands, either, as I have the freq. tuned to eliminate most bass to the separates..
I've also checked all 3 grounds in the trunk...No problems there either
Still have the cap installed as well...
Could the amp be bad somehow?? Only had it since May '07...
Paul
Anyone have any ideas now??

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic