the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

speedometer and odometer not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

Vehicle: 1994 Honda Accord DX.

The Speedo and odometer work interminttingly, although lately neither has been working. Sometimes the speedometer will all of the sudden just start working, then stops.

At any rate, I have little experience with this type of mechanical work, (just did the brakes on it, damn that was a pain-who puts hubs out side of the rotors!! Lame) so what would be the next move in solving this problem?

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

The first step would be to identify how the speedo works.  Is it cable driven or electronic?  If its cable make sure the cable is solid from the tranny to the dash.  If it is electronic you will need to find the speed sensor and make sure it is working.

The odometer most likely works off of the speedo, so if you fix the speedo it should fix the odometer.

Kevin Pierson
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I will look in to this. I believe it is cable driven, and I didn't know it was hooked up to my tranny. I have a manual if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the response.

Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
1994 shouldn't be cable by then.  the speedo and odometer always work in conjunction with one another so fixing one will fix both.  all you really need to do is check the speed sense wire going to the bcm and the cluster.  check at the cluster first and if you get a signal, then change the guage, if not check at the bcm.  if neither has a signal, then the sending unit is probably to blame.  you need a DMM or computer safe dual polarity test probe to check the speedsense wire.  with a dmm, set it to continuity and put the black lead to a good ground and the red lead to the wire you are testing. if you are using the probe, attach both probes the battery as with normal use and probe the SS wire.  the SS wire works off of negative pulses and the faster the car goes, the faster the pulses.  the dmm will beep faster as you accelerate and the probe with flash a negative signal faster with accel.  a tip to make the job easier and a little safer, use jack stands and prop the front wheel about 6+ inches off the ground so you don't have to drive and try to watch the dmm/probe.  on that car the SS wire should be orange.  look in a chilton or haynes manual to double check.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
dwarren 
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

Damn, that's great. Detailed info like that is real nice. I have all the above mention tools, and a shop to do it in. I hope  there are no jobs for tomorrow, as this project will be one.

Thank you very much for the response, I hope I can return the favor some time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic