icon

Transmission Destroyed By Python 871xp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Looking for insurance information (its too late to call anyone tonight) I found this and thought you might enjoy it:

http://www.epinions.com/content_4170031236

In here, it says their insurance company is Travelers, which does sound familiar.  You may try giving them a call, but I should be able to find out more information tomorrow.

Kevin Pierson
mabuffalo 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

Perhaps coincidental (cf. Circuit City asserts that my transmission damage immediately following their installation is unrelated), but I received one of the heaviest “spam” attacks in years this morning (and they’re still coming in). I have multiple layers of protection, including two different domain servers and measures incorporated into my individual computers, but 343 “messages” containing around 14 MB managed to penetrate my external spam filters and about half actually reached my “in-box.” These e-mails were directed to my domain name that hosts the Circuit City web page describing this incident. They are technically not spam, but rather, e-mails containing viruses that spoof my return e-mail address as the sender. I receive the bounced mail which is probably less than 1% of the actual volume of e-mails sent. (This is a common practice to 'bring down' website through what is commonly called a "denial of service" attack. The volume is way below threshold for having an impact on my servers.)

Although perhaps just a coincidence, the fact that some pumples at Circuit City might have instigated this suggests that I may have emerged as a blimp on their radar – and that would be good! I’m currently employing some additional electronic counter-measures (and of course, developing the case against Circuit City for pending litigation), but I’ll post replies to some of the recent comments as time permits.

www.AddictionScience.net/CircuitCity.htm

“Just because you’re not paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t out to get you.”

MABuffalo
KPierson 
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

OK, thats going a little far to actually hint that Circuit City (as a corporation) might be behind your flooded inbox!

If anything, I would guess that a Circuit City EMPLOYEE came across this thread and didn't like the bad publicity.  There is a BIG difference between a Corporate attack and an attack from a person who works for a company.

Have you contacted their insurance company yet?

Kevin Pierson
mabuffalo 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

Absolutely! If you follow this type of thing, you probably know that some over zealous employee most often takes it upon themselves to act. This made the headlines recently for one of the presidential candidates, but it occurs quite frequently in corporate America. (The ‘mob’ is also reputed to work this way, seldom tracing a direct command for a "hit" from senior leaders.) Also as an interesting coincidence, the web page (at www.AddictionScience.net/CircuitCity.htm) disappeared from the search engines this morning. Hum, very interesting. Yesterday a Google search for “Circuit City transmission damage” and several related key words found the web page immediately. Today, it has vanished. Another interesting coincidence?

Thanks for the link to the article, Kevin. I enjoyed it. Please don’t spend your time searching for their insurance company information. I made a “reasonable attempt” to obtain this information yesterday from their operations manager, and I’ve now progressed beyond that level.

“Live free or die trying .”

MABuffalo
KPierson 
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

I made a few phone calls and found that both local sales and installation managers didn't make the 'cut' a few weeks ago.  That sucks, they were both good guys that had been with CC for years.  I'm not sure how a company thinks they can conitnue by firing all their experianced managers.

It's been a few years since I worked at CC, maybe things have changed that much since I was there.

I talked to a CC installer whom I haven't ever met today and he was fairly clueless on the SIL stuff (self insured loss).  I have one buddy left that still works for CC, but he won't be in until Saturday.

Kevin Pierson
mabuffalo 
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

Before this discussion takes an unintended detour, let me make it clear that I am not suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory – I’m simply reporting observations. As a scientist I have spent much of my lifetime collecting data and looking for patterns. I frequently see patterns that others have missed. I develop hypotheses and alternative hypotheses that are evaluated against the empirical evidence. (And yes, I use statistical analysis for this process.) Sometimes the conclusions are surprising.

With this background, let me introduce a “second point” in the ongoing discussion from yesterday’s events. (I still intend to reply to comments regarding the first point, but it seems somewhat appropriate to introduce another observation here.)

Point #2: I was informed from an independent source that the “service manager was told he needs to pay attention to the discussion on the12volt.” (The source had never heard of this web site before.) Interesting observation. People here are trying to help the ‘kid’ cover his butt. He will obviously be using whatever information he can from this discussion to cover himself while supporting his company’s denial of responsibility. That’s fine . . . I’m placing my money on truth and justice.

Closely related is the “third point” --

Point #3: While I was waiting for the operations manager at Circuit City, the Roadshop service manager slipped into AAMCO unannounced to examine the wiring. In about one minute he concluded it was OK. (The shock sensor mysteriously reattached itself when I returned to AAMCO, but the pin switch for the remote start cut-out didn’t have enough time to install itself.)

FYI: My university server is undergoing an e-mail attack as I write this. Most likely this event is widely spread across the Internet. The high volume of spoofed return mail I received today IS most likely just a coincidence. I’m still trying to develop a viable alternative explanation as to why the Circuit City web page disappeared from the search engines’ data bases.

MABuffalo
mabuffalo 
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  

I’m very sorry to hear about the “good guys” being cut at Circuit City. This is most likely part of the problem – the good people are being terminated and the bad people are rising to fill the vacancies along with new, unqualified employees. I had done some background on Circuit City and they apparently have been firing their experienced personnel for some time and replacing them with lower-paid, less-qualified employees. The stock has been in trouble for a while. Their CEO didn’t even exercise his stock options last year, making him one of the few CEO’s in corporate America receiving less than a million dollar in annual compensation. (Of course, when he does exercise the stock options his compensation will be well above the million dollar mark.) And as noted on other discussions, their parking lot looks like a ghost town. A few more hits and they will be out of business. Personally, I would sell any investment in CC stock.

My experience at Circuit City is that their sales people are generally not very knowledgeable (with a few notable exceptions) – that’s OK, I shopped there for their low prices. But I did expect experienced, knowledgeable service people! This is an area where they can’t afford to cut the payroll (some other areas are more debatable, although I do appreciate a knowledgeable salesperson too).

MABuffalo
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
********** Disclaimer: I don not work for CC, nor do I really care about larger chain stores. I work at an independant retailer, and just happens that I specialize in remote starts (to the tune of over 300 per season of 4 months) Just giving my $0.02 on this matter*********
So, I decide to wade through this lengthy tome of a thread. My curiousity has most certainly been aroused.......
As far as I know, all Ford F series light duty of similar year use a very robust transmission. It is an electronically controlled, hydraulically operated device. The electronic component can fail. However, when it does, the vehicle will have a "safe mode" to ensure that mechanical damage won't occur, and that the vehicle can be driven. I would highly doubt that an improper alarm install would cause a failure. If it did, it would be immediately apparent the moment it was shifted into gear. If all else fails, there would also be visial indication or MIL on the cluster.
That particular year of Ford has, at the most, 2 ignitions at the key, and at the very most 3 accessory circuits that must be powered in a remote start situation. There is visual indication of not powering one of the accesories in the form of the ABS light staying on. The other accessory circuits just won't function (grey / YELLOW- heater. BLACK/ green- radio, A/C compressor clutch). I am fairly skeptical that a remote start can actually cause mechanical failure in a transmission........ GM fullsize trucks wouldn't shift out of 1st if the second (white) ignition wasn't powered (runs a heater circuit in the tranny from what I remember...and the cluster takes its 12V off the circuit as well..), but generally, you would notice that the truck wouldn't shift right off the hop. Pretty good indicator that something was up. (and the PRNDL indicator not lighting up is a pretty good giveaway as well).
I am going to play devil's advocate, and I would say that before jumping to any conclusions about the alarm/starter being at fault, get a very comprehensive teardown of the install by a trusted, independant, non biased, 3rd party shop. It isn't DEI's fault. They make a pretty solid product, and the absolute worst that can happen is the starter may engage is the tach wire is incorrectly connected and programmed. And only may. With customer input from the remote. It'll zing the starter, not a big deal. (sounds flippant, yes, however, just stating the obvious) I can't realistically see how a remote start can cause catastrophic mechanical failure to an automatic transmission. (the pictures on your site don't load, by the way. Just going by descriptions). In the 15 years of doing this for a living, I have seen pretty much every type of failure I can fathom in most vehicles. In that many years, I know I haven't seen a transmission fail due to a remote start (and we have seen some highly loveed installs. Pardon my french. We do a lot of dealership repair work..... and we see a lot of other shops work. Some guys just shouldn't own tools. At all.) I have seen remote starts that were a miracle they even worked. I have seen blatant fire hazards. Nothing that would cause mechanical failure to a vehicle though.
Really would like to see empirical evidence that supports this failure....... really would. I like proof. A lot. Rather analytical like that. As a researcher, you should be able to appreciate where I am coming from.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
NOBODY in buffalo installs hood pin switches due to rapid corrosion and failure, along w the fact that this is one of THE most competitive (read "whore")markets in the country. Price are at ROCK BOTTOM, and along w the extra time involved, there is MUCH failure.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
Not exactly sure whats goin on here but it seems like the general case w/ customer complaining his/her vehicle has problem b4 or after installation.
b4 everyone gets any further, there should be NO biased comment toward this issue. I can tell you, this can not be creditted in the court. just like any other thread and forums ive been into. yall guys do not know the whole story of both sides, so you shouldnt step in. CC is doin what they do, which is protocol, cant blame them.
6 pages, i will assume CC do not take matter into their own hand. GO FILE SMALL CLAIM COURT, EVERY STATE HAS THIS.
you need an expert to figure out why the tranny gotten screwed up... bc he didnt power the 2nd, 3rd, or 2nd accessory, for that matters.
if you could, look at a FSM and too see if the unpowered ign or acc has anything related to the tranny. for that reason, you need to look at the hard facts, not the fact that you brought it in and it got messed up somehow, judge wont buy it.
lets forget about whos good and not good at installing mobile electrnics, because everyone on this board messed up something in their career. dont make assumption about CC dropping higher paid and hire some crappy installer just to fill-in the employee roster, bc you and dont know that for sure.
good luck the thread starter,
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Page of 22

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic