icon

wiring mtx 1501d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djhammy2002 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have been reading on these forums for a good 4-5 months now, and I finally have a question. I am a Senior Sales Associate in Road Shop at Circuit City (I know eyes are rolling when you read "Circuit City," give us a chance. :) I recently purchased the MTX Thunder Elite 1501D amplifer from accommodations. The amp has 4-35A fuses, which comes out to 140A. MTX recommends that you wire a 1/0 gauge wire directly to the amp, and then a 4-8 gauge input from a capacitor to improve performance.

Now my questions is, is it really necessary to run a single 1/0 gauge wire directly to the amp, then a 4-8 gauge from a capacitor? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those salesman that talks out of my ass about everything. I know what I am doing, and I've installed many systems. My buddy got a JL: 1000/1 from Tweeter, and both the installer and JL recommends that you only need 4 gauge to run it, and only a 100A fuse.

I also have an Alpine V12 MRV-F505 4 channel amp, with 2 25A fuses, and wired with 8 gauge. Now can I run a 1/0 gauge wire back to a distribution block, off the block have 2 4 gauge wires, 1 running to the MTX (is it possible to use only 4 gauge), and 1 running to another block, which will put out 2 8 gauges, 1 running to the MTX cap inputs, and the other running to the 4 channel. And have a 200A ANL fuse, since my total load at max will be 190A.

Am I thinking about this correctly, or am I totally off?  All comments, recommendations and concerns will be appreciated.

I am also going to be performing The Big 3 with 1/0 gauge. I have an Optima Red Top, and a 90A alternator (most likely upgrading to a HO alt.)

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

4 gauge wiring is easily capable of handling 140 amps and should be provided with a 150 amp fuse.

Your wiring methodology will be fine to use. I would suggest, though, that wiring to and from the caps be as large and beefy as possible...bigger than 8 gauge, if you are to see any benefits of using those besides the bling factor.  The caps can be paralleled in the direct path to the sub's amp using the 4 ga. power wire (you do not have to use the additional "cap inputs").  The 4 channel amp powering the other speakers will not pull from the cap. 

And you could use 2 gauge main wire rather than 1/0 if you wish.  See https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp  It mostly depends, in this case, on ease of installation and what you have commonly available.  And DO upgrade that alternator.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
djhammy2002 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you stevdart for answering the question, I greatly appreciate it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic