icon

2001 dodge ram locks and auto start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dakotace 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a prestige APS-997 in a 2001 ram and the locks are not working right and the remote start does not work.
First the locks. I have got them hooked up as a 5 wire reverse polarity the way it shows on The12volt. the ground wire on the 87a's shorts out when I try to ground it out. The locks kinda work but not the way they should with the ground left off. The lock will work but the unlock will not unless the key is in the ignition. I have been scartching my head for hours now trying to figure this out. If I take a hot wire directly to the unlock wire in the door they lock as well unless I have the key in.    
Next is the remote start. I have got everything wired in and have gone back and checked and rechecked all my wires and when I try to use the start the remote says "INHIBIT" I found a forum that says that you just need to set the tach and I tried that and got the 2 chirps telling me it was set but getting the same thing... I have done a few of these but they were on ford trucks and code alarms.
Any help at all would be great. Thanks
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

Locks: flip the 30 and the 87a (87a is switch side)  The truck did NOT come with keyless? correct. Cause you know if it did the locks are different.

where did you get your tach from?

TACH SIGNAL BLACK/ gray or RED / black At coil on right side of engine   AC 
 On the 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L engines, the tach wire can be found at the coil on the engine near the distributor. Program you cylinder setting according to the number of cylinders. On the 8.0L V10 engine there are 2 coils packs on the right side of the engine. Use the BLACK/ GRAY at the 6-pack for a 2 cylinder reference.

dakotace 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Truck came with the factory keyless entry. If I hook the hot wire to the 87 then the 87a is showing hot.   
the truck is a diesel. I got the wire from the center of the fire wall in the wire harness. used the gray/black wire.
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
Where did you get your 5-wire wiring diagram?
If it doesn't look like the one here you should change it. There's another post on this site that looks completely different and might cause the problems you're having. Make sure that as was stated above, 87a is towards the switch side. You may want to take it all apart and re-check each connection as you put it back together. Also, I've been told by more experienced installers that what's inside your relay may not be what you think. Make sure you have 2 SPDT relays. I'd use my DMM to check the functions.
Regarding the tach, I used the same grey/black in the center of the firewall as you did--worked perfectly. Check your connection there. If its good I'd suspect something else. Not being familiar with Prestige products, what does the INHIBIT feedback indicate? What exactly is the remote start doing/not doing when you try to start it?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
How are you getting around the wait to start?
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2007 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

check all of the inhibit wires: brake, hoodpin, etc. and make sure they aren't getting a signal.  i had a similar problem in a chevy van and what turned out to be was a messed up brake switch that had an internal short.  disconnect the hoodpin first and test it, then the brake wire and test again.  it is one of the safety devices that are causing it.  as for the locks:

Power Lock ORANGE / purple  5wi driver door harness
Notes: Keyless models use positive trigger for lock, and 5-wire for unlock. Can also find wires at the central timer module to the right side of the steering column, lock is ORANGE / green, unlock is pink/green.
Power Unlock pink/purple  5wi driver door harness
Notes: Keyless models use positive trigger for lock, and 5-wire for unlock. Can also find wires at the central timer module to the right side of the steering column, lock is ORANGE / green, unlock is pink/green.

"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2007 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
I didn't know the keyless entry was positive trigger lock, but if I'm thinking this out right, wiring them both for 5 wire will produce the same result. Cutting both wires and hooking them up to 30 and 87a on the relays will have the same effect as not cutting them at all. Supply 12v+ to 87, then when the relay fires it breaks the 30/87a connection and provides 12v+ to the motor side. That would be the same as a positive pulse would it not? The only difference is that 12v+ would go to the lead going to the motor, but not go to the lead to the switch. I did my Ram with 5 wire on both lock and unlock and had no problems.
I also used the ORANGE / black neg. wait to start wire right near the tach wire location in the center of the firewall. Crimestoppers are programmable for pos. or neg. WTS and it worked flawlessly for years--no timers or relays required. As far as I know it's still working, but I can't find the guy who stole it to ask him.
dakotace 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

OK I have gone through the set up for the R/S and it does the lights flash and then let go of the button and the light come on for 3 sec. and go out.  accourding to the manual that shows that the tach rate is set and shoudl work but I still get the INHIBIT on the remote.  for the wait to start im useing the orng/blk at the fire wall next to the tach wire.  Still not makeing any sense on the locks a on how the lock only works with the key out  of the ignition and head/park lamps off. and the unlock only works with the key IN the ignition OR park lamps on with the door open.  I have figured out that it is the curent that is makeing the bell noise for when the key is in or light on but not sure how this would affect my locks.  Im going to cut every wire out today and retrace what I have done and see if i missed anything.

dakotace 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

Think im getting closer.   I have now got the R/S to work... but it will not work when the alarm in active. only when the alarm is off.  and the locks are doing the same thing as before they lock as they should but only unlock with the door chime (or the park light chime).  I leave for work tomarrow and will be gone for 3 weeks or so.  I will look up as much info as I can and if anyone has any ideas for me to try when I get back that would be great.   I still have the locks set up as the 5 wire revesal as shown on The12volt.

Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
if this is the case then either the transponder bypass is hooked up backward (probably not though) or you hooked up the starter output wire from the remote starter unit on the wrong side of the starter disable relay.  i have seen this one before recently with a friend of my who installed his own.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic